Dominator Vs. Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-stroke oils.

I've been using Dominator exclusively, besides the tank full of unknown garbage the dealer filled it with, in my 50cc, air-cooled, oil injected scooter (Kymco Super 9). The scoot has a Leo Vince pipe, carb re-jetted to suit, and some CVT modifications. This has worked superbly for 2780 miles. I'm on my second sparkplug, the original fouled shut at about 1800 miles.

I ride this thing to work most of the time, about 13 miles one way on surface streets at about 40-45 MPH with a couple small hills. The throttle is either pinned wide open, or closed, not much in between.

I'll be due for another quart in a few weeks, and entertained the notion of trying Interceptor, but it seems that that is marketed toward engines with exhaust power valves and there is nothing like that on the mighty Kymco. I'm inclined to stick with what has been working, but always wonder if there may be a better choice.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would think the Interceptor oil would work out better for you being if you have a stock motor,,I have seen the Dominator oil always used for racing/modified motors ,,,They are both very good

Motul makes 710 2T which I have heard is a great 2 stroke oil safe for oil injection. Check out Redline they make good ester based 2 stroke oil also. Honestly I have never been a fan of AMSOIL a company should not have to advertise that much. They overflow the marketplace with their own tests in which ironically they always come out on top. I find that hard to believe. Motul nor Redline need to advertise like that and they are used much more often than AMSOIL in high stressed race engines.

I would say stick with Dominator. The only weakness of Dominator would be storage, if you plan on not riding the bike for 6 months or so it would be best to switch to Interceptor.

Interceptor might prove to burn a tad cleaner in the long run. Your engine may not be developing the heat that dominator was designed for.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
Interceptor might prove to burn a tad cleaner in the long run. Your engine may not be developing the heat that dominator was designed for.

Quote:
The throttle is either pinned wide open, or closed, not much in between.

Also I second the Motul 710 recommendation.

Why?

Some guys(snowmobiles) were having engine failure while using amsoil interceptor the part the keeps it from spooging and not gumming up powervalves makes it evaporate off internal parts really easily therefore the engine internals are "dry". Motul 710 is used by many mx rides who dont run 800 because of the crazy high flashpoint which would be ideal for desert racing, but not woods or street riding.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Quote:
The throttle is either pinned wide open, or closed, not much in between.

Also I second the Motul 710 recommendation.

Why?

Because we're talking about scooters here not race engines. I have had great luck with 710 in my lightly ridden dirtbike. Smells nice to boot!

I'd truly prefer to use Saber Professional (flash point 237F), as I've been happy with it in my OPE, and the engine and operating conditions in this scooter are more comparable to a really high output, high duty-cycle saw than it is to a liquid cooled snow machine or dirtbike putting around the trails. Saber P is pre-mix only, though. That stuff is pretty thick.

Both the Motul scooter oil and 710 have very similar characteristics (flash point 190F) to the Dominator (flash point 194F). The viscosity is pretty close, too. I've decided that the Interceptor (flashpoint 119F) is out, and I'll just stick with Dominator.

Thanks for your input, guys.
grin.gif

I'm no expert, but I'll share this...the dealer I bought my Genuine Rattler, Buddy 125, and Stella 2T from is a diehard Amsoil proponent and they've shared lots of feedback with me on this while deciding what to choose for my Stella

Dominator is designed for racing, running in hotter engines, and has less rust preventative additives for storage

Interceptor is designed to be used in engines that run less hot and incorporate more rust preventatives for storage

Sabre is a premix formula while Dominator and Interceptor can also be used in injector systems, like alot of 2T scooters have

if I was to run a FULL synthetic I would choose the Interceptor, but I am using a synthetic blend (Castrol ACT-EVO 2T -- slightly older Italian manufactured) that I bought on clearance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back