Hi Point Handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they're a bit of a lesser-known brand and the newer ones are made out of plastic - but what about the older all-metal ones? I have a chance to snag a .45 for $150. I do not have any fire arms and now seems to be the time to buy them.

I don't have a lot of money but I need a man stopper if there should ever come a time to protect my family. I know .45 will do the job haha! (I would stick with 9mm or .40 but this handgun is/was a good deal)

I have not fired one, but i have never heard anything great about them. I would spend a bit more for a Ruger, or Glock , or a shotgun before buying an unreliable really cheap gun.

Id pass and look for a used mil surp 9mm Makarov or police trade in pistol for an inexpensive protection piece.

I have seen Hi Points that have cracked...not made of great materials. And the guy that took the CCW shooting test with me (had to get 70 percent) could not pass. At 25 yards the gun was not accurate at all. After three failures to pass I lent him my Taurus PT92 and he passed the first run out with an 82 percent.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Hi point or other cheap guns, but if it really is all you can afford, by all means go for it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Any gun is better than no gun. I agree with the others here though, save up for something better if you can-if not a handgun, than a good pump shotgun. Those are much cheaper than a quality pistol, and can't be beat for home defense ballistically speaking. You should be able to walk out the door with a mossberg or remmy for about 300 bucks if you shop around. A nice used .357 magnum revolver could be had for that price too.

There is a Hi-Point forum, not sure where but it's out there. Of course that forum is pro- Hi-Point. I recall reading a number of threads elsewhere indicating persons who bought one for the heck of it--and it was a great gun. Well, great in that it capable of launching lead, and, well, that's about it.

I was in a gun shop when someone went to trade one in. Store offered $40 IIRC. I should have offered $50. But new was like $150 if that. Maybe $190? Massive depreciation.

I dunno. But I wouldn't pay $150 used. Even if the lifetime warrenty transfered.

$150 should get you a brand new .40 or .45.

I have three of the handguns and one carbine, and they work fine. The handguns are ugly and heavy, especially in .40 and .45. They are also inconvenient to field strip ( I don't even bother ) and there is no such thing as a high capacity mag, afaik.

My .40 is a tack driver. I have no concerns about its reliability. I often keep it in my desk at the office.

I think with Hi-point you do hear mostly negative reviews but there are bad reviews out there on every gun. I've only ever held one and only known one person who did own one. He didn't have any reliability issues with it but sold it to get money to help buy something new. The Hi-point was heavy and butt-ugly. If you want it get it. But, for about $300 you can get a new Ruger 9mm or S&W 9mm (or 40).

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

I've read a few good reviews on Hi-Point carbines, but not on their handguns. Personally you couldn't pay me $150 to own a used Hi-Point handgun.

As others have said, if you need a low cost handgun, save a little more and go for a used Ruger P95 - they can usually be had for $250-$275 in good condition. They are 9mm, but a reliable 9mm beats an unreliable .45 any day... plus the P95 will retain its value much better than the Hi-Point.

Just took a look at a local gun shop.

Checked out a few handguns and I really liked the way the Ruger LCR felt. Unfortunately it was a little higher priced than I'd have liked ($445). Maybe if I could find one used? .38 special though...hmmm...

If you look around for a Ruger Security Six, they can be had at a very good price used. Bought mine like new in the box for 280 bucks. Very nice 357 mag.

I saw a new one for sale at a local gun store about 1 month ago for $165. I felt like buying it just because it was cheap. I looked for revues on the internet, and decided against it. The top slide is very fat and it will/might cut into your hand depending on how you hold it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
If you look around for a Ruger Security Six, they can be had at a very good price used. Bought mine like new in the box for 280 bucks. Very nice 357 mag.

Oh yeah, I heard of that one. That was the gun Sarah Connor had on her lap at the end of the first Terminator film.

Love mine. It is a blued 6 inch model. Just gotta get one with a post 151(if I recall) serial number prefix if you want to get aftermarket grips due to a grip shape change.

They have a good trigger (pre lawyer heavy trigger) and is a sturdy design that is a bit more streamlined than the GP100 that replaced it.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

As others have said, if you need a low cost handgun, save a little more and go for a used Ruger P95 - they can usually be had for $250-$275 in good condition. They are 9mm, but a reliable 9mm beats an unreliable .45 any day... plus the P95 will retain its value much better than the Hi-Point.
I have a P95DC and its super smooth action, built like a tank, and much more valuable than a Hi-Point. I picked mine up like new (all blue model) at a local pawn shop for $260 OTD.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

I have a P95DC and its super smooth action, built like a tank, and much more valuable than a Hi-Point. I picked mine up like new (all blue model) at a local pawn shop for $260 OTD.

I've been looking into this as well. Does the trigger action have roughly the same feel as the Ruger LCR I tried?

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

I've read a few good reviews on Hi-Point carbines, but not on their handguns. Personally you couldn't pay me $150 to own a used Hi-Point handgun.

My first gun was a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Good for what it was, but my 1994 Ruger P89 stainless pistol blows it out of the water, period.

The Hi-Point did jam a couple times. The Ruger has had way more ammo through it under my ownership, and has never jammed, not once. I bought the Hi-Point brand new. The Ruger was 17 years old when I bought it.

My Hi-Point was a [censored] to take apart and clean. The P89 is a piece of cake.

My Hi-Point carbine looked like a plastic turd. My P89 is practically a piece of art.

Cheap, no-name new guns are good to learn and get your bearings on, but if you want something you'll keep forever, a Hi-Point ain't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back