Aftermarket water pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all,

I'm pricing out a timing belt service for a 2000 CRV. My preference is Gates belt and tensioner (have had great luck with these) and an Aisin water pump. Rockauto doesn't carry the Aisin and OEM appears to be like >$100.

Any reason to avoid the Gates water pump? Any other brands I should consider?

There is nothing like having an Edelbrock victor series water pump. They really do all the great things as advertized and more. I had one installed on my LM1 "6" small block chevy 350 V8 on my 1986 quasi 9C1 caprice along with a gorgeous black fleilite fan that looks stock and it incresed my miliage from 11 to 15 miles a gallon. I knows this sounds stupid having a $165 water pump on a $500 car, but it really works !

I believe Amazon carries Aisin pumps. You can also try Autohaus AZ, which is a Worldpac distributor. Car Quest owns Worldpac, so many Carquest stores can get them, too. I got one last year from Car Quest. I could have saved a little by ordering online, but I couldn't wait for delivery.

I personally wouldn't get a Gates pump. From what I've experienced first hand and read here, their hard parts appear to just be white box Chinese parts with a Gates sticker.

I haven't used any of them personally but I've heard mixed reviews. When I buy my water pump I'm going with DNJ from RockAuto. They specifically say they are new and not remanufactured. That right there seals the deal for me. Especially when we're talking about most pumps are either made, assembled, or both - in China with cheap aluminum.

I've heard recent AC Delco products like their water pumps have been a plague to avoid.

I have had really good luck with brand new airtex water pumps. I have installed airtex pumps on several of my cars and i have not had any of them leak on me. I just installed a bosch water pump on my 1997 mercury villager the pump is made in china but looks well made only time will tell.

Considering how much it costs to replace a bad pump, I'd step up to a Honda pump. Most all last a good long time 100K+ .

YMMV

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I haven't used any of them personally but I've heard mixed reviews. When I buy my water pump I'm going with DNJ from RockAuto. They specifically say they are new and not remanufactured. That right there seals the deal for me. Especially when we're talking about most pumps are either made, assembled, or both - in China with cheap aluminum.

I've heard recent AC Delco products like their water pumps have been a plague to avoid.

I can't judge their water pumps but a GMB pump from advance was also brand new.

DNJ is a semi-store brand to rockauto, "Domestic aNd Japanese". I got piston rings from them, lowest price around. Believe them to be a reboxer/ rebrander for price conscious types.

IF it's an easy pump to change maybe consider a quality aftermarket pump, but if it's t-belt driven I'd stick to oem. It's never fun to do the job twice.

If an electric pump can be substituted I would go that route personally. Less drag on the engine and they are proven reliable.

I just finished a timing belt job on a 2001 crv this weekend and used the gates kit. as a precaution i am going to recommend doing the timing belt/water pump at 80k versus 105k. the water pump itself looked very well designed and very close to the OEM pump. i have no hesitation to buy one again. That said i'm also a fan of Aisin pumps too but went the cheaper route this time.

I would stick with the Honda pump. I used to buy them here:

hondaautomotiveparts.com (Majestic Honda in R.I.)

I once tried an aftermarket pump (GMB, I think) from NAPA, just for convenience. The bearing failed after only eighteen months. My Honda mechanic, who has over 30 years experience, told me Honda's bearing/seal design is proprietary and patented. You will not save much, if anything, going aftermarket and you need the pump to last as long as the timing belt so why mess around?

Thanks for the input fellas. I actually found I can get the pump for $85 from Honda directly, so that's worth it to me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If an electric pump can be substituted I would go that route personally. Less drag on the engine and they are proven reliable.

True, but even the BEST of them (Meziere, etc.) have WAY TOO SHORT a lifespan for a daily driven vehicle which one plans on keeping for a LONG time.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: jrtribology
There is nothing like having an Edelbrock victor series water pump. They really do all the great things as advertized and more. I had one installed on my LM1 "6" small block chevy 350 V8 on my 1986 quasi 9C1 caprice along with a gorgeous black fleilite fan that looks stock and it incresed my miliage from 11 to 15 miles a gallon. I knows this sounds stupid having a $165 water pump on a $500 car, but it really works !

IF they make one for the 4th gen f body LS1s (not sure IF they do or not), I will go with Vic's product if/when my Evans ever gives up the ghost, as they are a good deal less pricey than the Evans, and are STILL made HERE!
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

If your OEM waterpump is working, then you obviously want to replace it with another OEM. What is the point of preventive replacement if you are going to put an inferior part instead? That makes no sense at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back