Kreen in the oil... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would YOU leave (8oz, 12oz, 15oz, 32oz) KREEN in for? 10 minutes? 20? 30? 1000 miles? 2000? .....

And, would you add it to a HOT engine, or COLD?

Just asking because I heard it is really good. Also, more effective if you put half in the gas, a la Seafoam... ?

I am using one pint of Kreen, (1999 Subaru), in the last 1000 miles before I change oil/filter.

I will do this once more, then I am done, clean or not.

1/2 pint of Kreen the last 1k before oil change every 2 years/30k. I tried Kreen in the gas, followed by a PEA additive in the gas for an occasional rough idle/misfire issue. Gone with the PEA gas additive, has not returned. So I use a 10oz Walmart bottle of techron concentrate plus the last 1/2 tank of every 7k OCI.

Putting Kreen in the gas is a waste of Kreen, I think.

Depending on your engine dirty problem, there are lots of "ways" to Kreen your motor.

I had success in my truck dumping in 1 quart for 1000 miles. Changed oil. Then ran a pint for a 1000 miles at the end of the next two OCI's.

I like to dump in in the engine cold. Kreen is pretty volitile. I'd hate to dump it in and have a good portion of it flash off in the bottom of the oil pan. That's just me tho.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Depending on your engine dirty problem, there are lots of "ways" to Kreen your motor.

I had success in my truck dumping in 1 quart for 1000 miles. Changed oil. Then ran a pint for a 1000 miles at the end of the next two OCI's.

I like to dump in in the engine cold. Kreen is pretty volitile. I'd hate to dump it in and have a good portion of it flash off in the bottom of the oil pan. That's just me tho.

I don't see how this would be a good idea. Every additive I've ever see directions on says to add it to a hot running motor.
How exactly would it flash? Are you suggesting there is no oil in the pan while the engine is running?

Ght. You will have the cleanest Volvo engine on the planet that has chipped pistons and bent valves. But it will be clean,as it heads down the road on a tow truck en route to the auto wrecker.
With all these threads you've started showing us all your purchases and such,I wonder if you added it all together you would have enough to change that timing belt by now.
Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I don't see how this would be a good idea. Every additive I've ever see directions on says to add it to a hot running motor.
How exactly would it flash? Are you suggesting there is no oil in the pan while the engine is running?

Ght. You will have the cleanest Volvo engine on the planet that has chipped pistons and bent valves. But it will be clean,as it heads down the road on a tow truck en route to the auto wrecker.
With all these threads you've started showing us all your purchases and such,I wonder if you added it all together you would have enough to change that timing belt by now.
Just a thought.

Clevy, can you tell me more about the chipped pistons and bent valves? I don't know anything about how those things get that way, is why I am asking!

I think the T-belt is coming when it is Inspection time. I have a feeling.

I don't do this EVERY day... (Italian Tune-Up)

That looked pretty dang dangerous!-->{Filming that} I always thought an ITU was a handfull of hard runs from 60mph to over 100mph and beyond. Guess I watch to much Top Gear!

I think it's best to follow the manufacturers recommendations that are printed on the bottle. Someone recommended 3oz per quart of oil. I've been adding 12-15oz of Kreen to my 98 Toyota Camry V6 that's going through a Kreening process.

I started with a fresh fill of oil and added 12oz. 1,000 miles later, I added 15oz. I'm now nearing 3k on the fill and don't know whether to dump the oil or add more Kreen and run it some more....

Clevy I don't see how this would be a good idea. Every additive I've ever see directions on says to add it to a hot running motor. How exactly would it flash? Are you suggesting there is no oil in the pan while the engine is running? Ght. You will have the cleanest Volvo engine on the planet that has chipped pistons and bent valves. But it will be clean said:
Clevy....you missed my point.

When I say flash, I mean, the Kreen has a very low boiling point...meaning, it's volitile. So, dumping Kreen into hot engine oil would cause it to vaporize (ie, NOT stay in the oil).

I want the Kreen to stay in the oil for as long as possible. Which isn't very long under normal driving conditions. I want the Kreen to stay in the oil so it cleans out the areas of the engine that are in contact with dirty oil and sludgy crud.

However, I do think some vaporization is helpful. It will help clean the intake and the PCV system because of this, which is a positive side effect. But I want the majority of my Kreen to be in the oil to do it's cleaning.

If you dump Kreen in cold engine, and go for a 3-400 miles high way drive, most of the Kreen has probably gone out the tail pipe when you get home.

I add Kreen to a cool engine, fire it up and drive. I remember back in the day, people would heat up a bottle of STP, and pour it into a hot running engine making it easier to pour and mix better. I don't see the need to do that with Kreen. Opinions vary.

If you dump Kreen in cold engine, and go for a 3-400 miles high way drive, most of the Kreen has probably gone out the tail pipe when you get home.

I'm not sure V has gas for 3-400 miles!

So, now I am thinking to put it in a HOT engine, since I really wanna clean the PCV?

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
That looked pretty dang dangerous!-->{Filming that} I always thought an ITU was a handfull of hard runs from 60mph to over 100mph and beyond. Guess I watch to much Top Gear!

There was one time I did that, I heard sirens in the tunnel. ........

Yeah, I have to say.. Getting everything REALLY hot/circulated/you hear that turbo spool, sometimes blow off its boost, and tires chirp because you took a turn real hard.. THAT is an IT-U. Top Gear.. is a snoot British show, and the American version is so bad...

Maybe you are talking more about runs like this? (I have been cutting down on how often I do this.. But, I have to say: The car likes it, and runs better afterward. I honestly think I am "blowing out" something that isn't supposed to be there.)

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

So, now I am thinking to put it in a HOT engine, since I really wanna clean the PCV?

It will clean the PCV when the engine gets out and the Kreen begins to become gaseous/vapor.

I'm not sure V has gas for 3-400 miles!

It will get hot once you start driving flash off and clean the PCV system. Honestly I don't think adding to a hot engine or a cold engine will matter, if anything adding to cold engine is probably safer.

How long would YOU leave (8oz, 12oz, 15oz, 32oz) KREEN in for? 10 minutes? 20? 30? 1000 miles? 2000? .....

And, would you add it to a HOT engine, or COLD?

Just asking because I heard it is really good. Also, more effective if you put half in the gas, a la Seafoam... ?

I dont think it really matters when you put it in but I like to drive the car right after I put it in to make sure it gets mixed in the oil. Dont worry about how long because it will evaporate after 500 miles or so

Kreen works great in fuel as a decarbonizer, it will also clean valve deposits if you get fuel on them (no effect on DI).

Our fleet trucks get carbon knock which sounds very much like piston slap, Kreen kills it in minutes. One pint in the fuel and one pint in a normal sump and enjoy the results...

I've written on here several times about the absolute beating the old Camry takes working in Boston. How I can't justify working on the engine because the body is a mess. Interesting videos. One of the tunnels I use under the city. Where somebody did this to me weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed for no apparent reason. The picture doesn't do it justice. Worse than it looks, salt spray is covering it up. Scraped from the nose to the quarter panel. The tire took a hit tearing the control arm bushing. All 4 corners are like this. Messed up from crazy drivers, street parking and deteriorated asphalt.

080113141128.jpg

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I've written on here several times about the absolute beating the old Camry takes working in Boston. How I can't justify working on the engine because the body is a mess. Interesting videos. One of the tunnels I use under the city. Where somebody did this to me weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed for no apparent reason. The picture doesn't do it justice. Worse than it looks, salt spray is covering it up. Scraped from the nose to the quarter panel. The tire took a hit tearing the control arm bushing. All 4 corners are like this. Messed up from crazy drivers, street parking and deteriorated asphalt.

080113141128.jpg

LeakySeals I am in that tunnel taking Exit 22 for my ladyfriend every morning, if it is the same tunnel.. The one by the Tobin, or Zacum bridge?

The driving I see here on 93 leaves me scratching my head.

And I see the weatherstripping hanging from that wheel-well.. Danggit, man, that sucks.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back