Ester content -- when is it "too much"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Tom, you mention 40% ester as the maximum you would try without performing seal tests. What is the minimum percentage of ester to get higher lubricity (lower friction)? Or would it vary widely according to the type of ester?

Yes it does depend on the specific ester for both the minimum and maximum dosage. Linear POEs having relatively long acids are much better with respect to lubricity than short, branched, or aromatic acid esters. Years ago we developed a special POE for one of the majors that was demonstrated to be quite effective in boosting lubricity at only 7%. Mobil 1 for may years used dosages around 15% for a common linear POE. Generally speaking I would want a good 10-15% of a linear POE to get meaningful results, preferably more if balanced with PAO.

Tom NJ

I've sent a followup to Fuchs/Silkolene for some clarity on the ester's seal compatibility in automotive uses as opposed to motorcycle. I'll see what they say. So far I've been very impressed with their quick answers and openness.

dparm, is the PDS info available on the Fuchs/Silkolen Titan oils you've mentioned. I can't find it. I can remenber seeing it on the UK website but can't remember the stat's. Obviously it's the 0W-20 that I'm specifically interested in.

Not sure, but TBN for the 5w30 and 5w40 is 9.2. The 5w40 HTHSV is 4.07, if that's any indicator (pretty high for a 40 and on-par with RLI).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: dparm
http://www.silkoleneusa.com/downloads_temp/a1d92bb2-e949-4228-a271-2e777bf25fec_Imported_File.PDF
KV@100: 8.91
KV@40: 45.8
VI: 179
Cold crank: Pour: Density: 0.866
Flash: 180C

Thanks dparm, but no HTHSV though I suspect it's going to be high at around 3.0cP being ester based.

Is that VI high enough for you though??
21.gif

Lower VI than some other 0w20s, but these do not shear down in service much (if at all). The other oils need VIIs to get a viscosity index above 200; these are likely not using any VIIs.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Here's the Chem-E cheat sheet:

http://www.diolube.com/ESTERS IN SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS.htm

Cheat is the right word! That company lifted that paper, which I originally wrote, from the old Hatco website without giving any credit. They present it as if it is their own original work. Very low integrity in my opinion.

Tom NJ

Just an update - I wrote to this company and asked them to remove my paper from their website. Much to my surprise, they did! I guess they do have some ethics after all.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Here's the Chem-E cheat sheet:

http://www.diolube.com/ESTERS IN SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS.htm

Cheat is the right word! That company lifted that paper, which I originally wrote, from the old Hatco website without giving any credit. They present it as if it is their own original work. Very low integrity in my opinion.

Tom NJ

Just an update - I wrote to this company and asked them to remove my paper from their website. Much to my surprise, they did! I guess they do have some ethics after all.

Tom NJ

Maybe you should have asked them for royalties/copyright fees and CREDIT if they were that cooperative?
21.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back