Half quart too much oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question, but after pouring a 5 quart jug from Wal Mart into mt car, I realized it only calls for 4.5 qts.

Would you drain out some new oil, or just let it go? I can't imagine this is as bad as too little oil? Is it?

Most cars are not sensitive to .5 qt or liter overfill. If I accidentally overfilled by a small amount such as this, I would not worry.

What does yoir dipstick tell you to do?

FWIW, 5 full quarts puts me at the notch just above full on the dipstick (full hot.)

The manufacturers have to allow for most people not being 100% accurate. Many people always add a QT if low even if its not a full QT low. Others add oil without their glasses on. Some probably do not push the dipstick all the way down.

A QT is 1/32 of a CU FT. (8 gallons/CU FT)

An average oil pan might be 1/2 SQ FT in area.

Each 1/2 QT would raise the level by .375"

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Its fine. I have been using a half quart extra for the last 35 years.

Same here been over filling for many years.

I just did it today. Vehicle calls for 4.6 quarts. Poured in what I guessed was that amount. Checked back later and it was a little low on the dipstick. Grabbed the 5 quart jug and dumped the rest in (5 quarts total). Now it's a little above the full mark. Closed the hood and forgot about it until now. I'll forget about it again in a couple minutes.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
How many more times is this question gonna be asked on this forum?

Its up to about three times a week now.

Yeah, I have to say this is the most polite forum I've ever experienced. On most forums the only response you'd get to a common question is "Search".

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Its up to about three times a week now.

That's true, but this is the best place to ask.
wink.gif
If a dealer did the change and you went to a quick lube, the quick lube would insist upon changing the oil immediately, and vice versa, honesty dependent of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back