Cutting Open an Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just removed a very overdue oil filter from a car and would like to cut-it apart.

I don't have any tools from collection which could be used to cut it open, what do you folks recommend?

As an alternative, I would not mind mailing the filter to someone who is willing to cut it open and post pictures for everyone.

Thanks.

Id imagine a dremel tool with the right wheel would work easily. I wonder if a good old can opener, latched around the flange end would work?

Quote:
Get Longacre Racing Oil Filter Cutter I believe they can be had from Amazon.

That's a sweet one for sure, but more than I'm willing to pay to cut a filter open. The Harbor Freight Exhaust pipe cutter with 4 cutting wheels works fairly well in my experience for most oil filters and can be had for ~$16 with 20% off coupon. It can only be purchased in a b&m HF store though. Looks identical to one below. Hacksaw in pinch should get the job done.

exhaust_pipe_cutter.jpg

What are you hoping to accomplish by getting a look inside?

If you're not worried about contaminating it hacksaw or any one of a number of implements of destruction will do it.

I have one of those exhaust cutters too, it is not a very good oil filter cutter and it is marginal on exhaust pipes.

Right tool for the job I say, but whatever works for you...
wink.gif

I've used a hacksaw, Dremel and Sawzall. All were used when the filter was clamped in a vise.

I've wanted a better cutter. I like the HF exhaust cutter, I'll take a look at it next time I'm there.

I'm also not willing to spend that much on something that will only be used to cut open filters.

Got mine from eBay about 8yrs ago. Dunno if this is a one-off or something commercially available, but the thing is awesome. Only draw-back is it won't do huge filters like a PH8A (or equiv) unless you wanted to modify the travel on it. I've cut open countless filters with it.

Picture680.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Summit Racing has a low cost filter cutter. When I toured the Fram labs recently, I asked them to show me what they used to cut filters... they just buy pipe cutters. I tried my exhaust pipe cutter and it worked well on small filters. Unfortunately many of my filters were too large in diameter for it. I suppose they make larger ones but after getting the Summit too, I quit looking.

I don't like grinders, hack saws, etc, because it spoils the view. Part of why I'm looking is to spot an excess of metallic debris. Can't see much if you covered everything with swarf and grinding debris.

I autopsy every filter and if I see NOS ones at thift stores or yard sales, I'll gut them too just to see. Great fun... for a Bitoger with no "life." ( : < )

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you mail it I will cut it open and post pictures. I have a filter cutter. PM me and I will give you address.

Thanks, I will send you a PM shortly.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Do you just hit along the outer edge where the seam or lip is?

I just cut open a couple of filters yesterday and all I had was a hacksaw and vise. Yes I just cut it right up adjacent to the seam.

When you cut adjacent to the seam you have to realize that you'll also cut into the base plate which is immediately beneath where you're cutting. This is actually a good thing if all you have is a hacksaw, because it stops the saw shards from entering the filter body as you cut. You have to just go by "feel" of when you're through the thin outer body and starting to cut into the thick filter base. I used a clean rag to continually wipe away any swath as I cut each section, so that when I eventually had cut all around I could remove the filter body without getting any ccrap in there.

Honestly it wasn't particularly difficult to open with just a hacksaw, probably 5 to 10 minutes tops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I use a hammer and chisel.

For cutting only 2 filters a year,
it's the best for me.

It also leaves 'no' metal / grit in filter.

This is how I do it. I have a 2" wide scraper with a metal capped handle.
Four or five swings of the ball peen is all it takes. I make the cut 1/4" up from the seam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back