Methyl Hydrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that you use methyl hydrate in your gas if you want to pass emission test with flyin colors.. but the contration I heard to use was close to 1:3 of gas to methyl hydrate to accomplish this.. Is this true? what happens if it's only quater tank mix?? Will there be adverse affect?

I heard it's the same thing as Methanol whic is basically gas line anti-freeze..

secondly.. is it good to run this thru the tank as a regular oil change interval kinda thing? Like Naptha ( fuel injector cleaner before an oil change )

methyl hydrate is methanol. Do not do it, Period....

First, methanol will not blend with gasoline in more than token quantiteis, certainly not in that high of a concentration. Maybe 10% but thats probably pushing it.
You will also be screwing up the air fuel mixture ratio, methanol needs to be run significantly richer than gasoline to have the correct air:fuel mixture ratio.

Fuelman

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by drifter420:
Thanx guys..

So it doesn't help the emission any then ??

Tuneup your engine and quit looking for a lazy way to pass emmisions.

BAHAHAHAHA !!! Thats a good one... I already past my emission for this round.. but it's just nice to have a back up plan in case next time it didn't and I don't have time or money then.. Like wearing seatbelts, just cause I buckle up doesn't mean I'm going to look forward to a crash that day

Most 'methyl hydrate' sold for cars is actually not methanol....methanol is sold as Methanol, methyl hydrate is a mixture of about 90% pure ethyl (yes, drinking) alcohol, and just enough methanol to make you go blind if you drink it.

Quite safe in modest amounts (in a fuel tank, not a glass!)up to 15%. After 15% it seperates, and any moisture makes it seperate sooner. Low power/energy can affect your gas mileage.

Methanol is a different animal, in quantity it will eat many plastics and some rubbers, as in fuel pumps, level senders, hoses, and possibly other plastic components.
doc

(and one more time, "Naptha is not a cleaner, it is only a solvent for what is in the bottle!")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back