Taurus 24/7 G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has to be my first post in *this* forum...

I'm 98% decided to get a Taurus 24/7 G2. However, I'm hung up on which caliber to get... 9mm, .40, or .45.

A little background. This will be my first handgun. I have experience with shotguns.

Most of the opinions that I've been given so far are to go either .40 or .45. I'm leaning towards .40 myself. The .40 has a 15 round magazine on the Taurus.

Was at the gun store today, and I asked the owner about what he's seeing with ammo, and he said that he's out of 9mm, hasn't had any in a while, and doesn't know when he'll ever get more.

Hmmm...

Thoughts? Am I over-analyzing this?

And once I decide on the caliber, I get to decide the barrel length (3.5" or 4.2") and the finish..

I have two forty caliber pistols and love them.I dont own a .45.People say there is more muzzle flip in a .40 caliber.I have the same exact guns in 9mm and .40 and not much difference.I like the PT92 by Taurus.If your gonna carry it,3.5 on the barrel.House gun,get the longer barrel.

Well when the panic dies down on ammo....the 9mm will be the best buy. More capacity, cheaper to shoot, and with proper bonded jacket JHP ammo it will be just as effective as a defense pistol as the 40.

9mm and .45 are readily available and cheap. Both are found in police and military guns so there will never be a shortage of them.

Just the opposite hear! I just purhased a S&W M&P40 and everywhere I look there is 9mm and .45 ammo but no .40. My father has the 24/7 G2 he likes it. I like the S&W!
What kind of price are you seeing. My dad paid $409 for his 24/7 G2 in stainless with three mags and a speed loader. I paid $460 for my S&W with two mags.

Last edited:
9mm is way, way cheaper to shoot. I have a bunch of 9's, a bunch of 40's, and a couple 45 autos. 9's get used the most due to the price of the ammo. Just about half the price of the 45. Something to think about. Also if you are planing on using it for cc get the compact. Otherwise the full size for HD and plinking. I have 4 Taurus semi autos myself, all have been great.

9mm gets my vote too. It is much easier to learn marksmanship with its lighter recoil. Better yet buy the nine and a .22 as well.

I think ammolab gave you the best answer of all. Besides, when hello comes a'calling, you can always pick up 9mm from the bodies laying around but .40 will be far and few between.

There's not much better than plinking with a .22 handgun plus it hones your skills tremendously.

.40's are good and plenty powerful although they can get a mite uncomfortable in certain firearms....my 96 is a pleasure to shoot while the G27 not so much. I also have a Star 31P in .40 that is heavier than the 96 and is a genuine pleasure to shoot but this was one of the first .40's and eats recoil springs (needs a new one at around the 300 round mark)or reliability suffers. It now resides as a safe queen.

Good choice for your first handgun too....if I'm not mistaken, I think the Taurus 24/7 is also second-strike capable which can be a real plus at times.

I prefer a .45acp but I can only shoot decently (meaning I hit what I aim at) with a 1911. I occasionally carry a Kim UCII with C/Trace but it's a tad heavy and reloads add to the weight. Also, I think the Taurus 24/7 in .45acp also has a thicker grip making it just a touch harder to hold onto if you rattle off a mag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Good choice for your first handgun too....if I'm not mistaken, I think the Taurus 24/7 is also second-strike capable which can be a real plus at times.

Yes, it does have second strike.

Without looking, the magazine for the Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm has a capacity of 17 rounds.

After a few more days of research, I'm leaning away from the .40 and to a 9mm, and with a 3.5" barrel for cc. This should be a good combination for a first handgun.

I know that one gun won't do it all, but I'm going to get as close as I can. :^)

A 24/7 G2, 9mm, 3.5" barrel should run about $415-$430. 9's appear to be about 5% more expensive than .40s.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Without looking, the magazine for the Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm has a capacity of 17 rounds.

After a few more days of research, I'm leaning away from the .40 and to a 9mm, and with a 3.5" barrel for cc.

Just my opinion but if you're getting the G2 compact in 9mm for CC you may want to consider the Millennium Pro series from Taurus. Yeah, it has less capacity (12+1) but, it's a slightly smaller gun (length & height 3.3" barrel) and weighs 7-8 oz's less too. Take it from someone who carries at all times, a big bulky pistol gets old REAL QUICK. I'm not saying don't buy what you want but rather make sure you consider what your options are for what you're using the gun for. 2 lbs of gun on your side or in your pocket doesn't conceal all that well and is a pain to carry especially in the summer months when we don't wear coats.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Also, can you even CC in Illinois?

Not yet. But that will change this year.

. Cool, good to hear that. I used to live in Illinois.

My father gave me his 9mm 24/7 G1 over the holidays. I've only put about 80 rounds through it but it seems like a nice gun. I don't know if the gen 2 are any different but it has a looong trigger pull that takes some getting used to. It helps accuracy if you stage it a little.

Another one to consider if you haven't made up your mind yet is the Ruger SR9C. If you can get your hands on one that is, they seem to be out of stock every where.

Oh, and I'd go with 9mm too. Plenty of power, more mag capacity, and cheaper to practice with also. A +p 124 grain round isn't that far off in energy from a .45

Last edited:

I really hope it does.

Isn't Illinois one of the more unfriendly gun rights states?? I always here Illinois mentioned when murder rates and gun control are discussed...high murder rates and high gun control.

I own several Taurus firearms including revolvers, PT99, PT908,PT140 Millenium pistols and others and they have all been great trouble free guns. I would personally go .40 with the 3.5 barrel. That will afford you concealed carry options and the just over 1/2" longer barrel of the other one isn't even worth worrying about as home defense. True 9mm ammo can be cheaper but with the better ballistics of the .40 what price is your life worth?....and you really probably aren't going to shoot thousands of rounds where the $$ of ammo will really matter either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I really hope it does.

Isn't Illinois one of the more unfriendly gun rights states?? I always here Illinois mentioned when murder rates and gun control are discussed...high murder rates and high gun control.

It isn't so much that Illinois a gun unfriendly state, Chicago is the whole problem.

And unfortunately, the rest of Illinois pays the price for Chicago stupidity.

Once you get south of I-80, and west of I-39, it is a nice place.

I own several Taurus firearms including revolvers, PT99, PT908,PT140 Millenium pistols and others and they have all been great trouble free guns. I would personally go .40 with the 3.5 barrel. That will afford you concealed carry options and the just over 1/2" longer barrel of the other one isn't even worth worrying about as home defense. True 9mm ammo can be cheaper but with the better ballistics of the .40 what price is your life worth?....and you really probably aren't going to shoot thousands of rounds where the $$ of ammo will really matter either.

Thanks. I've decided on the 3.5" barrel, I think that I'd do fine with either the 9mm or the .40

It'll likely be decided by what I can get my hands on.

It sure seems to me that Taurus started out as being the Hyundai of the gun world. But through hard work and innovation, they've really done well in the past several years... just like Hyundai.

I really hope it does.

It isn't so much that Illinois a gun unfriendly state, Chicago is the whole problem.

And unfortunately, the rest of Illinois pays the price for Chicago stupidity.

Once you get south of I-80, and west of I-39, it is a nice place.

That is so true! I was concentrating my thoughts on Chicago and that was wrong. The big cities in many states really do ruin it for the rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back