Wisconsin V-4 Oil.

I'm in the process of getting the exhaust valves unstuck in an Wisconsin V4 industrial engine (just got it last week) From the info from Wisconsin site states 30w or 20w but info is from the 1980's. Is there a modern 10w-30 that will work? Since its air cooled and runs hot would like to use a 5-40 or 15-40 oil any experts with these older Wisconsin's. Thanks

I'd use a heavy duty engine oil like Rotella T5 10w30. Those Wisconsins are great engines. Be sure to post pics of it!
thumbsup2.gif

I've got two of these engines. I'll be looking forward to the reply back from the OP, but remember that these engines were probably built in the 50s or 60s, run hot because they are air-cooled, have a tendency to vapor lock because the carb sits in a hot spot and have a tendency for the head bolts to seize to the head. They also need to have all air shields in place and the dirt must be blown out every day.
On the bright side, parts are relatively cheap if you are patient and get them through ebay sellers cleaning out their NOS stock and the fuel pumps can still be purchased through NAPA. (That's what the ebay sellers are doing. They sell a fuel pump at a rediculously jacked-up price and then order it at the local NAPA really cheap AFTER the sale is completed on ebay)
To the OP, if these engines are parade queens, any 30W will work. If they are run hard, use a good 15W-40 synthetic that still has some zinc in it. Remember that oil technology has come a long way since the operator/maintenance manuals initially came out.

Last edited:
Don't think it was rust as exhaust points down (not up like on a hay bailer),Cleaned out under shields and found a mud wasp nest-- maybe cooling. I am using ATF & acetone (50/50 did try several others like Kroil etc but ATF seems best) to loosen ex valve, Was running on 3 cyl with no compression in #4. Just about have it free enough to start.

Mine has a electric fuel pump (after market) It has no engine tag so not sure of model. It does has alloy heads which makes it newer,expect it to be about 35hp as its in a smooth drum road roller, working Hobbs meter states 256 hrs.

On the Wisconsin site the have new OHV V4's that make a lot more HP + more $.

Here's some info from Wisconsin site .

Thank you for visiting Wisconsin Motors, LLC on the internet. We build gasoline, LP and NG fueled, air-cooled and water-cooled engines. Our product offering ranges from 9hp to 72hp . Our unique product offering, addresses a specific and valuable niche in the market place.

I maintain a manlift with a Wisconsin VH4D engine in it and I use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 in it and getting good service from the oil. The engine lives in Chino, Ca, so it gets up into the low 100's in the summer and around freezing in the winter. I decided that the 15W-40 is a good all year oil for the engine.

Growing up on the farm we had a v4 powered bobcat. I cut my teeth in that old cat. grampa ran pennzoil at the farm. we stock pyb 5/10w-30 and long life 15w-40. we haven't used it much in the last few years since grampa past and we got out of angus feeders.

Ken

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd use a heavy duty engine oil like Rotella T5 10w30. Those Wisconsins are great engines. Be sure to post pics of it!
thumbsup2.gif

This. Rotella T6 is what i'd go with. It's a little thicker on the upper end (40 vs 30), yet thinner in the bottom (5W) so you can help mitigate some startup wear. Plus, you're tolerances aren't "as new" anymore, so a little thicker viscosity will help reduce wear a bit.

The diesel formulation oils have more detergents and such to help control soot and other particulate. I recommend them for any ICE running diesel or forced induction.

Digging up a 7 year old thread to add a comment. Since the Wis-Con V4 is an air cooled engine, why not run aircraft oil such as Aeroshell, designed for air cooled aircraft engines? Lots of detergents, keeps engine internals very clean.

Digging up a 7 year old thread to add a comment. Since the Wis-Con V4 is an air cooled engine, why not run aircraft oil such as Aeroshell, designed for air cooled aircraft engines? Lots of detergents, keeps engine internals very clean.
That oil would probably work just fine. But those engine numbers are getting few and most of the owners that I know would be too tight to try any oil that isn't pumped out of a 55-gallon drum filled with bulk oil.

Back