Oil and filter for 3.9L Dodge Dakota with 118K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations for a 3.9L Dodge Dakota? No problems with oil consumption. I typically change every 5K, but would go with longer OCI's if possible.

It has been awhile since I've visited BITOG. I thought I found info on the 3.9L before, but I don't get any search results now.

Thanks.

In the 3.9 dakota that I had, I mostly ran valvoline conventional (white bottle) in 5 and 10w30. Never any problems.

I have used mostly synthetic 10w30 of various brands in my
Dakota. Right now I have a mix of 5w30 and 10w30 synthetic. I think I'm going to switch back to conventional at some point soon. As for filters I've used them all from K&N to Supertech to Fram. To be honest I don't think I've noticed a difference of any oil or filter I have ever used. I don't think the 3.9 cares to much about what oil or filter you use.

I've got a high-mileage '93 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9. I think I've had a dozen different brands of oil and filters on it. It was somewhat of a gas hog, but the only engine problem it has was that the distributor gear/shaft wore out and I had to replace it. You could probably put about any name-brand oil you wanted to in it or whatever you caught on sale.

You can use any good quality oil and filter on the 3.9, just change it on a regular normal schedule. The 3.9 is a very durable and reliable engine. The 3.9 is an old school cast-iron block and it will run forever as long as you take good care of it. I am old school too and I change my oil at 3,000 miles or 6 months, whichever happens first.

Right now I am using Kendall GT-1 Syn Blend 10W30 with a Carquest Red Label (made by Wix) in my truck right now. I normally use Quaker State conventional 10W30 and a Purolator Classic filter, but at my last oil change I just wanted to try a different oil, and I had the filter left over from a Carquest sale a few years ago. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the GT-1 with liquid titanium.

My engine runs great on either oil, it might burn maybe half a cup of oil every 2,500 miles with the QS. I have about 1,600 miles on the Kendall and have not burned a drop yet. Kendall seems to be a great oil but it was expensive, IIRC it was over $5.00/quart. The QS in my stash cost me $2.16/quart at one of the sales they had at AAP a couple of years ago.

I have also used Valvoline conventional, and have used Napa and Carquest store brand oil with either Napa Proselect or the CQ Red filters. I did one run of PYB 10W30 and I used Maxlife for a couple of OCI's back around 70,000 miles. Out of all the oils I have used in my truck the only one I had problems with was Maxlife. It is blended at the thicker end of its given viscosity and as a result I took a slight hit on gas mileage and lost a bit of power on the butt dyno. When I am done with the GT-1 I will switch back to QS and use up my stash.

Originally Posted By: jpweage
Any recommendations for a 3.9L Dodge Dakota? No problems with oil consumption. I typically change every 5K, but would go with longer OCI's if possible.

It has been awhile since I've visited BITOG. I thought I found info on the 3.9L before, but I don't get any search results now.

Thanks.

I currently have two 3.9L Dakotas a 1995 & a 1996 both 4X4,s they seem to like any good quality 10W 30 and I am currently using 10W 30 Pennzoil High Mileage the 1995 his little oil consumption while the 1996 has more on the higher side. Try a synthetic blend or full synthetic for a longer OCI but get a used oil analysis [Napa kit 4077 is a good value]sart at 5,500 or maybe 6,000 then work up from there if everything is ok. Just be sure to use a good quality oil filter and of course that is a whole other topic. Good Luck!

Toto.

Thanks for the responses. The last time I really payed attention to this, it seemed to run quieter on Havoline, but this was about 5 years ago. Wix, Purolator and SuperTech filters were recommended then too.

Seems like the 3.9 isn't very picky about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back