Had my first "sketchy" 100k spark plug replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you do hot or cold? I (my mechanic) did on Nissan 3.0 at 140K, the noise during the removal was disconcerting but they all came out fine and according to the mechanic, he hears that scary noise all the time during spark plug removal.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The G35 is RWD, but replacing the spark plugs is far more difficult than you would expect. Book time on it is 1.7 hours.

WOW, do they pay you to pull the plenum off or something?

I did my G35 in about an hour at a slower then average place? Only pulled the intake assembly off and like moved a harness to the side. Overall maybe 15 bolts all together. Maybe 1.7 on a FWD maxima sounds right because you gotta pull the plenum off.

There is a vendor or two that makes replaceable spark plug tube gaskets to take care of the oil puddle in the spark plug area. Because it seems only the 350z/g35 have this issue of NO valve cover gasket only valve covers. Its a kit that requires you to drill 2 in hole in the back to get access to the gasket and then some other things to make the new gasket hold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So why no antiseize? will it take a stripped thread to convince you that service manual is not the bible?

+1 I put a dab on every plug and reduce the torque by 20%.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Did you do hot or cold? I (my mechanic) did on Nissan 3.0 at 140K, the noise during the removal was disconcerting but they all came out fine and according to the mechanic, he hears that scary noise all the time during spark plug removal.

I did them cold. There was no noise, just a lot of difficulty with removal.

So why no antiseize? will it take a stripped thread to convince you that service manual is not the bible?

Neighbor didn't want any, and besides, I also do not like the "slippery feel" of anti-seize when screwing in the spark plugs. It always feels a bit disconcerting to torque "wet threads."

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

WOW, do they pay you to pull the plenum off or something?

I did my G35 in about an hour at a slower then average place? Only pulled the intake assembly off and like moved a harness to the side. Overall maybe 15 bolts all together. Maybe 1.7 on a FWD maxima sounds right because you gotta pull the plenum off.

At a slow pace and with torquing all the plugs, 1.7 seems believable. I think the first time I did it, it took me about 2 hours. My buddy who does these all the time, says he can do one in about 45 min.

My mother's 2010 Altima V6 requires pulling the manifold, and book time on that one is 2.6.

Totally agree. It may take an extra minute to smear a little anti-seize. Peace of mind and easier removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back