Can you use too much Redline SI-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using it liberally.. I really believe it is cleaning up *something* because the more I add (we gas up frequently,) the better it seems to ultimately run!

So, not only am I confused as to "maintenance dosing" (I have heard 1oz. per fill-up used,) but what can happen if too much is used, and how much is too much.

I have also stayed with Redline SI-1 and abandoned Seafoam since applying it, should I stick with that strategy? I am thankful that I am combating rampant Ethano issues with using Redline.. Seafoam does not have same benefit? Thanks!

For continued use 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas is all you need, after a good cleaning. Go to the gas station, add a full bottle, and fill up. Drive until you have about 1/8 of a tank and use the maint dose at each fill up. That should do just fine for you.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Do a UOA and see if you see anything abnormal.

If not, carry on!

How can he see any UOA difference if he doesnt have a baseline to compare?

With fuel adds, I am always of the mind that one should indeed use them, but less is more.

Not sure about the OPs claims of rampant ethanol issues. Havent seen one yet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If not, carry on!

With fuel adds, I am always of the mind that one should indeed use them, but less is more.

Yea, I thought about that but forgot to put it in the reply. I'm at home, sick & all drugged up, but no excuse.
smile.gif

OP: Do you have a baseline UOA??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run a full bottle in a 16 gallon gas tank with no ill-effects, and my motor is supercharged and tuned for even more power than stock. At some point you'll start getting engine knock and check engine lights, but I suspect you would need a LOT to do that (like 2 or 3 bottles).

I never see that excellent Redline for sale anywhere!

A little maintenance dose won't hurt a thing, and will help.

Consider that many gasolines have cleaners at small doses in them already.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If not, carry on!

Yea, I thought about that but forgot to put it in the reply. I'm at home, sick & all drugged up, but no excuse.
smile.gif

OP: Do you have a baseline UOA??

.. on gasoline?

Tell me how. I am interested in doing one, even Blackstone. Unclear on how to, with gas..

And, call me nuts.. but i want to wait until I get this fill (it has Auto RX in it) OUt, and the Synpower/one quart Redline IN, before I go Blackstoning it?

Quote:
I never see that excellent Redline for sale anywhere!

This is my secret:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-60103-Sys...ds=redline+si-1

I always buy three at a time. I am on my third bottle. I need more soon.

This is one of those things I get while saving for timing belt. Also included: Gasoline, and tires. And tools.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
I have run a full bottle in a 16 gallon gas tank with no ill-effects, and my motor is supercharged

18 gallons, Turbocharged in the Volvo. Getting nice power from either 89 or 93 octane gas (I alternate tanks, never let it get below 1/3) and that, plus the Redline as I have abandoned Seafoam, really makes her get great power!
smile.gif

When you posted pictures your oil blotter paper in the other topic, I noticed red tint to it. I am suspecting some of your Redline is ending up in the oil. That would also explain why your oil level is little high and not dropping.

Now it all makes sense.

By the way, I have spreadsheet of all the money that you have spent on the car. When I look at the column under the heading of "frivolous expenses" and sum them up, Excel shows $458.76.

Does your number match that?

Last edited:
Redline SI-1 is fantastic stuff, but if it's ending up in your oil you really need to STOP using it and figure out, and fix, whatever seal/etc is cracked/broken!

FWIW, I run a full bottle every 3k miles in all 3 of my Bimmers, with 1/4 of a bottle every third fill-up (never use anything but Shell 93/94oct and occasionally Chevron 94oct if I see a station; the 328Ci gets a lot of 100/102/105oct UL Racing Fuel).

Have opened a few fuel filters after 35-45k of use, all the time on this regimen and I noticed FAR less "black goopy Ethanol poop" in the lines and in the filter!

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Local O'Reillys stocks in for $10.95 for 15oz bottle.

RedLine SI-L is $12.95 for a 15oz bottle in Southern California at O'Reillys. I buy by the case on Amazon as well.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Excel shows $458.76.

WOW, thats a timing belt replacement!!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^ You can still get 94 octane pump gas in the Mid West?!?!
confused2.gif

Just in case you don't know, we can still get it here... I read on a lot of forums that there is no more 94 in NJ. Exit 53 off 287N... turn right. Sunoco 94. There is a Delta on 23S that sells 110 for like $7.99/gal

To answer the question, I would say no to too much SL1.
I was adding a bottle to a Land Rover every other fill up for four tanks. Filling up at half tank.
Worked wonders. Had such a NASTY shake at idle, my shock dose of SL1 and it never came back yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back