Subarus,chain and snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a few passes in my area that sometimes have chains required when it snows hard. I don;t have a set of chains or my outback. So what kind can i use, cable or chain??

also, for those that have Subs, how well do they work in extreme conditions like mountain snow?

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
We have a few passes in my area that sometimes have chains required when it snows hard. I don;t have a set of chains or my outback. So what kind can i use, cable or chain??

also, for those that have Subs, how well do they work in extreme conditions like mountain snow?

Hmmm, I have never seen snow that a Subie couldn't tackle with a decent set of A/S or snow tires. The couple of times I have been in Denver during a snowstorm and the "chain laws" were in effect, I was waved through.
Usually AWD cars are exempted.

they have very low inside of tire/to suspension clearance.

90% of chains dont fit.

how well they go depends on the tires.

I would think snow tires would get you through anything that the car could physically clear..

if you need more than that you will probably be ripping off plastic pieces of packing snow on the radiator and should stay home.

if you need a set of chains you would have to get 4

and they can be e pricey to find ones that work with the clearance.

Last edited:
I agree. Forget the chains and just get 4 good snows. If the belly of your car clears the snow you should be fine. If you are pushing snow with the belly, stay home.

Other vehicles like my Jeep have higher clearance and have a super 4WD mode called "part time" which is the opposite of what one would think. Its so heavy duty you can only use it on very snowy roads. But normal 4WD works most of the time just fine.

I'd get a set of the narrowest steelies that would fit, slap a quality set of snow tires on them, and stop right there.

It's a Subaru. It doesn't need no stinkin' chains.

what year and model outback?

Originally Posted By: Rand

what year and model outback?

99 outback

Originally Posted By: SteelheadGuide
I've never seen chains required on an awd/4wd in Washington state. I travel the passes a lot.

i have never had the fortunate/unfortunate luck going over the passes when it was required, but hear the news broadcast frequently throughout the years of Stevens or Sno pass requiring chain on all vehicles

Originally Posted By: Rand
they have very low inside of tire/to suspension clearance.

90% of chains dont fit.

how well they go depends on the tires.

I would think snow tires would get you through anything that the car could physically clear..

if you need more than that you will probably be ripping off plastic pieces of packing snow on the radiator and should stay home.

if you need a set of chains you would have to get 4

and they can be e pricey to find ones that work with the clearance.

iirc, subaru doesn't recommend chains/cables in the rear due to the suspension interference.

(but... a set of 4 Spikes Spiders or Thule K-summit are quite expensive).

I saw these socks for use when chains don't fit. I was impressed that they seemed to work alright. I think it was posted here in the forum.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I saw these socks for use when chains don't fit. I was impressed that they seemed to work alright. I think it was posted here in the forum.

I think you're thinking Autosocks

I know Caltrans don't approve them... maybe Washington DOT does

Originally Posted By: edhackett
AWD/FWD exempt if tires are M/S rated.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=204-24-050

Ed
And on rare occasions they can require chains on every vehicle:
"(4) The Washington state department of transportation or Washington state patrol may prohibit any vehicle from entering a chain/approved traction device control area when it is determined that the vehicle will experience difficulty in safely traveling the area." Furthermore, the law requires that all vehicles on mountain passes in the winter carry chains.

Too many so-called all season tires, especially with some wear on them are poor on snow, especially polished snow where many have already spun their tires. AWD is sometimes a help and sometimes not enough help. And, AWD/4WD is little or no help at all downhill. (Some will argue that it is a help; maybe...and some will end up in the ditch.)

Cable chains or the small-link Class S chains fit most cars with tight spaces. A few cars cannot use any chains and must use either snow tires or stay home.

Originally Posted By: SteelheadGuide
I've never seen chains required on an awd/4wd in Washington state. I travel the passes a lot.

i have never had the fortunate/unfortunate luck going over the passes when it was required, but hear the news broadcast frequently throughout the years of Stevens or Sno pass requiring chain on all vehicles

You left out the part that says: "Except AWD and 4WD". If the pass is bad enough to require chains on AWD and 4WD they Close it. I agree with most here...just get a good set of snow tires on all four wheels and your good to go.

i had all-seasons on my 97 5spd in the DC/baltimore area. didn't see long periods of snow, but did see it every winter. as long as the vehicle didn't become a plow, it simply didn't get stuck. It was also far easier to negotiate down a slope than every other 4wd vehicle I've owned, and I attribute that to it's weight. (while I was ready to get rid of it when I finally sold it, based on that experience I would certainly consider owning one again.)

the strut sits within 1/2 of the sidewall. not much room for a chain. maybe snow cables instead. also the spring perch comes real close to the tread on some of them.

And as someone else said, it will build snow up above, and forward/rear of the tire inside the wheelwell. requires some cleaning periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back