Dexron III + Friction Modifier = T-IV fluid ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to this quick lube place, they did a transmission fluid flush and put in Dexron III.

I came back home and found my 2009 Mazda6 3.7L V6 requires JWS 3309 fluid, so I called them up.. they said they added Dexron III plus some friction modifier to make it compatible with Toyota T-IV fluid (and T-IV fluid is same as jws 3309 fluid)

Is that true? or should I flush my transmission with jws 3309 ASAP??

#3309 is the same as T-IV but, I have no idea what they did with additives. You are probably OK but, remind one self to not go this route again. Ed

Many shops do this to save on inventory of many fluids since they supposedly can formulate the spec fluid with additives. The friction modifier will modify friction, but how much? Yes it works to get the job done and it's probably better with this combo than no fluid change at all, but I would rather have a fully formulated fluid that is at least recommended for the spec than try to make something up on the fly in the garage. Something like Maxlife ATF for example. Dex III was a good fluid in it's day, but now has been surpassed with others that maintain their viscosity and friction characteristics much longer, and for not much more cost to buy. I would not run out and get it replaced or anything right away, but would ask next time before consenting to the job. Maybe go another 20 or 30k miles and then get the spec fluid put in there? As long as it shifts well, etc. That's the way I would go if it were me.

Shops are about profit and sometimes they will cut corners where they think they can safely. Some transmissions are more sensitive to fluid viscosity and friction, so not an area I want to experiment with, at least on a customer's car.

Suspect they used Lubegard platinum or Lubegard Black. Good additive in a cheap transmission fluid. LG Black or platinum attempts to convert Dex III into highly friction modified fluid similar to T-IV. But its not T-IV. Thats what shops do. Costs them too much to stock the correct fluid for every car so they push profitable universal solutions on customers. Not sure what I'd do. Probably a couple drain and fills with T-IV on my own. Or just leave it alone and hope for the best. But the stuff wont last long, that dex III brew is less than 30k IMO.

so there is no immediate danger? i can leave it in there for a while as long as it shift ok?

as I don't trust my self to jack it up to do a drain/fill..unless I can drain/fill without jacking up the car?

Last edited:
No I don't think there's immediate danger, leave it. If it starts feeling strange change it. Don't go past 30k, extending it is where you may run into trouble (additives wear off, dex III breaks down sooner, etc.).

For my 06 Corolla I tried diffrent types of tranny fluid to substitute for T-IV.

Nothing really feels like it , I would just buy it. Its not synthetic but its definetly quality .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back