Got the itch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was looking at the guns at Baron Sport and was taken by the Browning T-Bolt.

It was stainless with a walnut stock, but in .17.

Had it been in .22 I would have bought it on the spot. I like the velocity of the .17, just not the weight of the bullet (17 gr!!).

Also, I have years of experience with the full gamut of .22 ammo and love every loading. I have split open jack rabbits out West that were running in K-country down a path with Velocitors (excellent hyper velocity rounds with a full 40gr hollowpoint that actually opens up!!) to doing silent work with CB Longs (CCI loading is the best).

So I need a new backpacking gun, as my Mark II Lakefield has never extracted properly from the day I bought it over 20 years ago.

I used to bring a Stainless Synthetic Mini-30 out hiking when I was out West as mild bear repellent (30-06 would be better by far on Grizzlies) but the thing was really heavy and it was before the accuracy retooling at the Ruger factory took place, so it is a pretty gun, but it doesn't deliver.

So I am looking for an extremely light gun to not shoot but to use in emergencies, as I am a very good hunter I can live off of birds if I was desperate. Also, you never know if you run into poachers or not, and having a gun as well keeps everyone polite.

I just firmly believe if you bring matches, a knife, a compass etc. you really do need to bring along at least a .22.

I am only trying to justify taking on another gun as I have two gun cabinets full of stuff. I seem to be horrible at sticking to a .22, a 12, and a .308. It is a curse.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting it as such: Browning .22 T-Bolt, Stainless Synthetic.

It already has the shoulder strap butler creek QD studs so I don't have to sweat putting a hole in a synthetic stock. Wood makes me nervous enough to install the studs. These are molded in so that is one big PITA out of the way.

Anyway I don't know the price but I have to order it (PITA) so I have already decided to get it unless someone speaks up and says it is a lemon, or inaccurate. I have no time for inaccurate guns, or ones that jam or don't extract.

Thanks guys!

Not sure why you want a bolt action .22 My Marlin .22 semi-auto holds 16 rounds and is as accurate out to 75 yards as any gun.

Barkley, I own two Ruger 10/22s.

One I put on a Butler Creek folding stock and the other I got as Stainless Synthetic with a Bushnell 4x scope.

I would like a bolt action, open sights that is extremely light as I don't plan on shooting it.

It is going to be a utensil tied to my backpack that I only plan on using for hunting for food if I am in trouble, defense, and signaling.

If it rains on it I just plan on lubing up the action and trigger group with some Hoppes and calling it a day.

This gun was as light as a Cooey .22 single shot.

But I forgot all about Marlin... Maybe they still make a very basic .22, and I like them as a arms maker. I'll check them out thanks for mentioning them.

You want a lightweight iron-sighted .22 LR bolt action. Would a single shot be OK? If so- are the Crickett .22 rifles available in Canada? They make a little single shot .22, often marketed as a "first gun" for a kid. The secret is, lots of grownups love 'em. Barrel is 16.x inches, has a factory peep sight, & is available at WalMarts here for a little over $100. If you could get a synthetic stock/stainless steel version, that should be close to perfect for a much-carried/shot-little backpack .22, and they are very light. I think under 3 pounds, some specs list 'em at 2 1/2 lbs. Length of pull is about 12 inches. Crickett also offers some adult-stocked versions- but I think the easiest thing would be to shoot it as-is, or add a lace-on buttpad.

For something more conventional, while you look at Marlins you might also see what Savage has to offer. Whatever you get, let us know.
thumbsup2.gif

Stuart, the Crickett sounds like a great idea... But I am very tall so I am going to look at the adult model that you suggest.

Looked at the Marlins and the trigger group has a complex Glock-style on-trigger secondary safety.

I know one day I am going to forget the gun on my pack so it is going to get placed on the ground... I don't need sand going into some complex safety system.

Going to look at Remington a bit as well.. But have never really been a fan after owning an 870 express since I was 12 years old and never fell in love. Should have gotten the Winchester 1200 pump instead but was swayed by Dad. That was a sexy gun.

I really am not a fan of Savage after my Mark II Lakefield.

About the Crickett rifles- I don't know if synthetic is offered in the adult-stocked models. If not, it'll be heavier- but should still be pretty lightweight.

They're also offered in .22 Magnum- for those who believe that nothing succeeds like excess!
grin2.gif

If Savage is a no-go- well, so be it. But they have a new model called the Rascal w/factory peep, Accu-Trigger, weighs about 2 3/4 lbs, with "grown-up" bolt action- ie, no cocking knob to pull after loading. Several colors available in synthetic- but no adult stocks, & it's about $60 more than the Crickett.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back