UNDERCOATING?? Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Honda Accord, engine is in great shape and I am likely to drive this for well over 250,000 miles. Does anyone have an opinion on "Undercoating" this to not only reduce sound, but improve overall wear?

Suggestions welcome!

If you plan on keeping the car that long yes its worth it.
Come up to Canada and get some Krown rustproofing. If you had been doing it since new you would probably never see rust on your car ever.. The stuff works, can't say though for a vehicle that hasn't had it since day 1 like mine has.

Rubber undercoating strikes me as more problemmatic then beneficial.

I would go for krown.

If you live up north and are driving on roads that are salted in the winter or live right on the coast I think it is worth undercoating your car every time. If you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while (as you mentioned) I think it is a worthwhile investment. I do all of my vehicles because I live close to the ocean and have seen what road salt can do so I don't play around.

It's worth it if you plan on keeping a car for more than 10 years that sees winter duty.

I've been doing it for 37 years on my cars.

Unless the minimus wage droids know what they are doing they end up filling all the drain holes with goop.

Last edited:
A true undercoating might be good when the vehicle is new, but if its used you need something to penetrate existing rust and prevent new. Krown (Canada) or CarWell (US) is the best, but needs to be done annually, but maybe after two treatments you can go every other year. Fluid Film is similar but does not last as long. If you have a lift you can do it yourself. If not, then there are two places in NY that do CarWell. Its about $100. Both of my vehicles were done in 2012.

Last edited:
Popular Mechanics had a Q&A answer that indicated pickup truck bed liner is good to use as undercoat, or to touch up undercoat.

Sounded like a good idea to me.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Popular Mechanics had a Q&A answer that indicated pickup truck bed liner is good to use as undercoat, or to touch up undercoat.

Sounded like a good idea to me.

I am not sure I would agree. Especially on a used vehicle. CarWell on my vehicles used two different viscosities, one for cavities and one for under the vehicle. And it needs to penetrate the existing rust, not sit on top of it.

don't get it, it is snake oil, modern car don't need it.
plus they will drill holes and destroy your underbody.
just wash your car where there is an underbody spray, I wash mine at sams club and they have a fantastic under body spray.
at the end of the season, I take my garden hose and go under the vehicle and blast everywhere and wash off the salt.

PA uses road salt right? Local car? If so my answer is..If it were brand new, yes its worth it. On an 05? I say its too late. May look good, but rust is underway underneath somewhere. Maybe an oil or wax based penetrating spray to drown oxygen out and slow things down. But no solid coatings that don't penetrate and cover over rust. Could make things worse IMO.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

You really don't have a clue do you!

just wash your car where there is an underbody spray, I wash mine at sams club and they have a fantastic under body spray.
at the end of the season, I take my garden hose and go under the vehicle and blast everywhere and wash off the salt.

I welcome you to try that tactic up here and see how long your vehicle remains rust-free.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I welcome you to try that tactic up here and see how long your vehicle remains rust-free.

Same here and we get a lot less snow and ice than you guys do!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
OVERKILL Can you clarify - Is the Krown you guys use a traditional undercoating or a penetrating wax like spray?

It is a creeping somewhat gooey oil that penetrates. That's the best way I can describe it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
OVERKILL Can you clarify - Is the Krown you guys use a traditional undercoating or a penetrating wax like spray?

It is a creeping somewhat gooey oil that penetrates. That's the best way I can describe it.

Yeah I like that method, would be great for a used car even if it has a small amount of rust starting. Does it need to be re-applied every so often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back