New Delco Starter Less Expensive Than Reman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: George7941
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

My truck uses a PG260D starter and RockAuto has a new PG260D listed at $155.66 and a remanufactured PG260D starter listed at $206.96 + core charge. What gives? Is it that the new one is Mexican made and the reman one is of US origin?

Would you get the new one or reman?

the last time I bought a "new" starter, it turned out to be a bright shiny made-in-china pile of fecal material. Pretty, but no way would I actually trust it further than I could shot-put it. I handed it right back to the parts guy and got a remanufactured (in Mexico) starter.

My best source of starter and alternator rebuilds is to take the original off, go over to Texas Alternator and Starter, and have them rebuild it there. It takes about a day. But in the above case I needed a quick (a couple of hours) turnaroud. I'll still have the original rebuilt and put it in when (not if) the reman poops out. If you have a local rebuilder who ACTUALLY rebuilds on-site, the workmanship will be far better than any parts store reman job. People quibble because the local guys usually only offer a 30 day warranty instead of 'lifetime,' but my experience has been zero failures of the local 30-day warranty rebuilds, and a lifetime of swapping lifetime-warranty starters or alternators over and over again. :-/

Last edited:
I have had excellent results mailorder with Texas Starter/Alt.They EBAY every now and then.

As for pre-built units:
Reman now is usually US or Mexico
New is normally China/Taiwan.

Thanks, 440Magnum.

Just to add to my original post, both of the starters mentioned are from ACDelco. The new one is a new ACDelco branded starter.

Just to add to my original post, both of the starters mentioned are from ACDelco. The new one is a new ACDelco branded starter.

Just remember that ACDelco is a relabeler instead of a manufacturer. A couple of years ago, I had an O'Reilly counter man show me a store-branded starter against an AC Delco starter. He told me that they come off the exact assembly line, and that the O'Reilly starter had a better warranty and cost less. This is not a plug for O'Reilly and not a jab at ACDelco. It's just that for that particular number, both of those starters were identical down to the inspection stamps and the housings and you could tell that they were identical.

AC Delco "new units" are Chinese/Taiwan. I worked for the reman industry for 10+ years and that I can promise you. Most if not all of the US based reman is done in Mexico now also, I helped train my non-english speaking replacement for 6 months...
wink.gif

There are only a few remanufacturers left in the states anyway, no matter what parts store you go to you are getting the same part just in a different box and that includes ALL AC Delco stuff...

I see that with Ford all the time. A complete new compressor with clutch, pulley, field, and precharged with oil will be less than a rebuilt bare compressor.

Thanks, 440Magnum.

Someone else beat me to it, but AC/Delco is just a brand now, so that doesn't mean that the starter in the box was made by the manufacturer of the original starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back