When I get my timing belt changed (Hyundai)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it's going to be very expensive. I've heard that there's a bunch of other things to get replaced while they are down there replacing the timing belt, among them are the :

• Water Pump
  • Accessory Belts
  • Cam Tensioner
  • Drive Shaft Belt
  • Cam Pulley
  • Radiator Flush
  • and one other thing that is like a reverse pulley or whatever

Are all of these necessary to replace? I get quoted $650 for just the timing belt, but with all other thigns considered here the price goes up to $1200. This is with all places I've checked. Only place different is the Hyundai dealership in which I get quoted $2250. Typical!

So what's the deal here...they keep telling me that if the water pump goes I'm g onna be spending tons of labor costs all over again, but it's like twice as expensive with all this stuff. If I don't get the accessory belts and cam belts changed, will my vehicle grenade just like if the timing belt were to go? We're talking an interference engine here.

These accessories tend to age and wear out. Given you have a 2004 and if you plan on keeping it, you are due for this type of work. Do it before 100k miles would be my recommendation. I find if you repair one thing, the other items will end up having to be done shortly afterward. Any idea what they are quoting parts $ and labor $?

The quote I got for my 05 Sonata, difference between replacing water pump and not replacing was something like 75 bucks, I'd replace it.

John

do you have oil seals that are right there in plain sight after all of the disassembly?....prob a good idea to do those too??

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Find a good indy shop for 30-40% less.

I've been checking everywhere, trust me. I am super tight with our money and everybody quotes about the same price. The shops where the guy coughs heavily and answers the phone, and runs his own grease shop; the dealerships (non-Hyundai) that transfer you to a dept at least once; the small outfits that are thriving in small communities...

I've gotten some interesting responses from various places. One of them was "um...yeah we're gonna pass on that job." Another guy reassured me that I didn't need to start thinking about it until I hit 100k because he's changed them several times on Santa Fe's and they're thick meaty belts that usually don't break easily until about that point. That softened my convictions for a little while until I started thinking about it again.

Perfect timing here too as wife is starting college again and we will be REALLY tight on money...

best thing I've found is a $50 rebate with the Ford Quick Lane card.

What the heck is a "drive shaft belt"??? If they're talking about a "drive belt," then that is the exact same thing as an accessory belt. No need to list the same thing twice. (And while we're at it, "cam belt/camshaft belt" is the same thing as "timing belt.") I've never heard of the cam pulley needing to be replaced; that sounds like a bogus charge to me.
You absolutely should change out any tensioners and idler pulleys, as well as the water pump while you're having the job done. All of it is right there while it's taken apart and shouldn't cost hardly any extra labor. Tensioners and idler pulleys are known to seize up, which destroys the belt and thus destroys your engine. They have to drain the radiator regardless (if you get the water pump changed) so it's up to you if you want to pay extra for a "flush."

Hate to add to the already long list, but I would probably have them do your spark plugs and wires also. I believe they are a difficult DIY job and getting it done while you are already in there may save money.

Tensioner and idler pulleys should definitely be replaced because if they fall off it's the same as if the belt breaks on it's own and there's no additional labor. The water pump should be replaced because that a new belt could trigger it's failure and the labor is minimal with the t-belt already off. If you're going to be getting a [censored] store brand water pump, I'd skip that and leave the old one on there.

Coolant, if not currently due for flush can wait and just be topped off with fresh. If you go that route, delay the next flush by a year. Accessory belts can easily wait until they begin to make noise; the advantage to replacing them at this time is no labor charge.

Really, you need to see the itemised charges for parts and labor to make an informed decision. It's also good to know what brand the pulleys and water pump are. As far as the belt itself goes, they're pretty much all perfectly fine.

Well, I called another place and the guy said the kit would be $830, plus labor. His labor is around $50 an hour, so I asked him if I could bring in my own kit as I found it for $330 and he said it would be fine but he'd charge me $75 for labor instead of $50. Is this reasonable or no?

If I brought my own kit in it would cost around $825 total, if I had him order it in, total would be $1178.

Also...if I plan on ordering my own belt kits and whatnot, what's some good brands to stick with? I noticed "Dayco" is super cheap...but I don't want to get something that's unreliable. Are they all made in the same place? I've heard Gates belts are not good for the Hyundai...or is that a myth...?

I would go mid-grade to high grade on the kit price. Stay away from low grade. Also, I would call Rockauto to place the order just to make sure they have it in stock and that you are getting what you expect. Have your list of parts you need to change and have them confirm that is what they are sending. That way if there is something missed, you have that discussion with them on your side. Document that converstion, time, person and what they committed to. You have the benefit of some time on your side (and of course this forum ; ) )

my
49.gif

i know when i had the timing belt changed in my old Sonata (2000, 2.4l) it had a similar laundry list of incidental parts that needed changing,(including the Hydraulic belt tensioner, and Spark Plugs) I was quoted $700 @ one Hyundai dealer (in Columbus, where i was living then), and $500, & my home town Hyundai dealer(where i bought it in the first place)

as for the water pump.. it sounds like it's a similar setup to my Neon, where the timing belt is what actually drives the Water pump, so if you don't replace it, and it does go, you 're basically looking at doing the same job over again...

as for the other belts, no your engine won't blow up if they're not changed, but they are (relatively)inexpensive, and they have to be removed to do the job anyway..

That Sonata would eat any non-Hyundai belts. i had a good local Indie change the Serpentine & Generator Belts, he used good belts from his usual parts store, within a month they were slipping/screaming something fierce, took it back, he replaced em again, (no charge), moth later started squealing again. took it back to him, this time he called the dealer and got the OE Belts, they were still silent when i sold the car 2 years later.

I would double check the maintenance schedule...that sonata called for the timing belt @ 60k, and it looks like (from info @ rockauto catalog) yours IS an interference engine. meaning if the timing belt does go,you'll need to add @ least a valve replacement, or a whole top end rebuild to the cost of what you've already been quoted, or just a whole new remanfactred engine...
I'm all about pinching those pennies, and stretching intervals where i can too brother, I Just don't think this is one of those places where there is a whole lot of leeway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fisher83
Hate to add to the already long list, but I would probably have them do your spark plugs and wires also. I believe they are a difficult DIY job and getting it done while you are already in there may save money.

thats the line the "Head Mech." @ the Stealership fed me on my sonata (2.4l 4cyl)
Said one or 2 of 'em were extremely hard to get to, had to practically remove the engine to get to one of 'em, etc.(maybe he was thinking of the 2.5l V6?, maybe he was pulling it out of his @$$?)
@ the Time i hadn't bothered to really explore anything under the hood short of the air filter, oil dipstick, & Filler cap.

in reality, they were SOOO hard to get to... you had to undo 4 bolts to take the stupid piece of plastic off the top, and then remove the coil packs from the plugs (COP)...
such a difficult job, that i was able to do it (replace the coil packs) in the autozone parking lot...

Last edited:
Looking at Rock Auto, I can buy a belt kit w/o water pump and then BUY a water pump for cheaper than the whole kit WITH water pump.

Is this plausible or am I missing a part that would come with the whole "w/ water pump" kit?

When I had my 2009 Accent, the dealer quoted $1000 for the 60K service. I asked of that included the water pump and he said no, that they would inspect the water pump and replace it under the 1 year 100K mile powertrain warranty if they saw any seepage or leaking.

I never had the service done as I sold the car with 59,500 miles on it.

As far as replacing the plugs, the dealer wanted $129 for that. I did it myself with NGK Irudium plugs for under $30.

Last edited:
I believe a lot of the cost is because this is the 3.5L engine. It's a bear to work on compared to the 2.7L V6 or 4cyl in the Santa Fe.

What does the typical Hyundai shop recommend? T-belt, any associated tensioner/idler and water pump would be typical for a 2004.

Last edited:
Know I'm asking a lot of questions but I know nothing about the timing in an engine.

The goodyear kit that I want to order says it has the tensioner and the belt in the description. The dayco kit says it has tensioner, idler, and belt. They are in the same category and look very similar parts in the pics.

Technically in the pictures I see of the Goodyear kit I see belt, tensioner and idler. Just like the Dayco. Is it possible they just didn't list it in the descriptions anywhere? I mean why have a "kit" with a tensioner but no idler?

Also I may choose to buy the camshaft and timing cover seals as well as spark plugs. They really get you on those "kit" deals...you can buy them for much cheaper separately.

Also - Pronto Water Pump...any good? I have the choice of Pronto, Gates, AC Delco, or DNJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back