2009 Honda Pilot - Engine Piston Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon Everyone,
I'm a first time poster, but have read this forum for a long time. I would like to start by saying thank you to all the contributors. The information on this forum is invaluable. I hope I can make a positive contribution to the forum by sharing some information about my Honda Pilot.

My story:
I purchased a used 2009 Honda Pilot Touring exactly 3 months ago with about 72k miles. It has the 3.5, 6 cylinder VCM engine. There was no noticeable noise when I test drove it, and it has all service history done at the original dealer. It looks like it would follow the Honda MM (roughly 7-8k OCI) and had the standard conventional oil – assuming the bulk oil most Honda dealers use. After having the car for a few weeks, I noticed a slight ticking/clacking, so I took it in to my local Honda dealer to have it checked. They diagnosed the noise as a bad timing belt tensioner and out of clearance valves, which were replaced and adjusted respectively. The noise was quieted, but was not completely gone. My service advisor told me the engine had excessive sludge and varnish, and I should change over to a good synthetic oil and shorten my OCI. I did that immediately, and have done one more change 3k miles later, but the noise seemed to be getting louder.

At this point I reached out to both Trav, as he has worked on several of these Honda engines, and adam_in-NH, who has this engine with a failing camshaft (link to his thread below). Many, many thanks to both of you for your help and advice.

I took the Pilot back to the dealer this morning for what I assumed would be a front camshaft replacement. They called me a few hours later and said the engine had piston damage across the front bank of cylinders, and the car would need a new motor. My advisor did not elaborate beyond that at this point as to what may have caused the damage or the extent of the damage. I would think it had something to do with the oil starvation caused by the sludge, and I will try to verify that and post a follow up.

I wanted to post this to support Adam’s findings that 5w20 conventional oil and the Honda MM OCI, seem to be a death sentence for this Honda engine. When I have the car back, I plan to use 5w30 PP or PU, at a 4K OCI. Hopefully that will be enough to avoid future problems.

Adam’s thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2675186

If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. I would be happy to share more details with anyone interested. Thanks.

Mike

Where in upstate NY. I am near Albany. If its your dime, I would get a reman from Marshall or Jasper and have an indy shop do the install. You will get a guarantee from the company.

Sorry to hear of your problems but welcome to BITOG.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
should be under the 5yr/60000 powertrain warranty

72K miles he said.

good catch I thought it was 32k miles.. bad eyes.

they should goodwill it.. imo..

If it was a certified vehicle it should have warranty still though I think.

Last edited:
Major money is an understatement. I didn't get into the warranty or replacement side of things in my OP because I wanted to focus on the information I have about the current engine. I'll be sure to provide updates as I find out more about the damage - I may stop by the dealer to have a look after work.

The car came with a used car 6 month, 6K mile warranty. The dealership contacted them, and they are sending an inspector to look at the car tomorrow. I haven't done anything to cause the engine failure, but I'm nervous they will try to get out of the repair bill somehow. It's probably unwarranted, and they are likely just following the standard protocol for a repair this large. If they try to make a large dollar amount my responsibility, I will contact the selling dealer and tell them I want to return the car under the Moss warranty act.

Donald - Thank you for the suggestion. I am an hour west of Albany in the Utica area. As long as the warranty covers the repair, I will most likely stick with the Honda dealer. My advisor already told me the warranty company will not cover a brand new engine, but I haven't discussed options beyond that. I will make sure I am getting a good engine before finalizing anything. I was thinking about asking if they had an option for a non-VCM Honda engine, assuming engines from 09-13 Pilots would fit. I'm not sure if there was ever a non-VCM engine version.

Originally Posted By: nmike101
Major money is an understatement. I didn't get into the warranty or replacement side of things in my OP because I wanted to focus on the information I have about the current engine. I'll be sure to provide updates as I find out more about the damage - I may stop by the dealer to have a look after work.

The car came with a used car 6 month, 6K mile warranty. The dealership contacted them, and they are sending an inspector to look at the car tomorrow. I haven't done anything to cause the engine failure, but I'm nervous they will try to get out of the repair bill somehow. It's probably unwarranted, and they are likely just following the standard protocol for a repair this large. If they try to make a large dollar amount my responsibility, I will contact the selling dealer and tell them I want to return the car under the Moss warranty act.

Donald - Thank you for the suggestion. I am an hour west of Albany in the Utica area. As long as the warranty covers the repair, I will most likely stick with the Honda dealer. My advisor already told me the warranty company will not cover a brand new engine, but I haven't discussed options beyond that. I will make sure I am getting a good engine before finalizing anything. I was thinking about asking if they had an option for a non-VCM Honda engine, assuming engines from 09-13 Pilots would fit. I'm not sure if there was ever a non-VCM engine version.

Did you buy the car from Carbone?

Just a bit more information. The dealer I bought the car from is separate from the dealer where I am having it serviced. I traveled about 5 hours to get the car. Both are large, reputable dealers.
The car was not certified by Honda, but it came with a short used car warranty. 180 days and 6k miles. I am thinking/hoping the repair will cost me very little. I have been pacing and assuming I won't get much sleep tonight. I just want the car repaired correctly.

It's being serviced at Carbone, but I didn't buy it there. I've always had excellent service with their service dept. I bought it at Motorworld in PA, but I don't think it's likely they knew about the engine damage.

. . . . I bought it at Motorworld in PA, but I don't think it's likely they knew about the engine damage.

A Honda dealer?

They have a Honda dealer, but they sell their used cars from a separate dealership. They had about 10 dealerships on the same lot.

I'm also curious how they determined that it was piston damage. I wouldn't think that oil starvation in the cylinder head, if there is any of that going on, would affect the pistons. As I understand it, most of the lubrication for the pistons is from the bottom end, windage from the crankcase and such.

There is a non-VCM version of this engine, even today. The Ridgeline is the lone hold-out in Honda's V-6 lineup to NOT have the VCM version of the J-series engine. I very seriously doubt that Honda would install it, as the vehicle was emissions-certified using the VCM technology. We've seen that Honda's OLM was simply inappropriately-calibrated, and/or didn't have enough reserve capacity built-in. The engines are generally fine as long as one is rigorous with more frequent oil changes using good oil. Conventional oil at an 8k mile interval doesn't seem to cut it in these VCM engines.

Best of luck with Honda regarding the warranty, and I mean that sincerely. Honda will sometimes goodwill a repair if the customer seems earnest and has good intentions. The fact that you have a short used vehicle warranty may help out also.

I'm sure I speak for all of us in asking to see photographs if you or the dealer have any of the damage.

Welcome to the board!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm also curious how they determined that it was piston damage. I wouldn't think that oil starvation in the cylinder head, if there is any of that going on, would affect the pistons. As I understand it, most of the lubrication for the pistons is from the bottom end, windage from the crankcase and such.

There is a non-VCM version of this engine, even today. The Ridgeline is the lone hold-out in Honda's V-6 lineup to NOT have the VCM version of the J-series engine. I very seriously doubt that Honda would install it, as the vehicle was emissions-certified using the VCM technology. We've seen that Honda's OLM was simply inappropriately-calibrated, and/or didn't have enough reserve capacity built-in. The engines are generally fine as long as one is rigorous with more frequent oil changes using good oil. Conventional oil at an 8k mile interval doesn't seem to cut it in these VCM engines.

Best of luck with Honda regarding the warranty, and I mean that sincerely. Honda will sometimes goodwill a repair if the customer seems earnest and has good intentions. The fact that you have a short used vehicle warranty may help out also.

I'm sure I speak for all of us in asking to see photographs if you or the dealer have any of the damage.

Welcome to the board!

Thank you for the information on the engine. I will stop by the dealership tomorrow to discuss how the damage occcured, and hpoefully snap a few pictures to post. I'm assuming they have not put the engine back together.

They have a Honda dealer, but they sell their used cars from a separate dealership. They had about 10 dealerships on the same lot.

OK, I understand now. I hope you are able to sort this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back