My Forever Black Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the review in this thread, I decided to test it myself. Only place I could find it locally was a truck accessory shop.

I've used 303, Black Again and Vinylx previously. Black Again has worked the best at restoring black but eventually fades. None of these are paints or dyes however. (Note the BA was in an old, black bottle and smells like coconuts if I remember correctly. The newer version may be a different formulation, in a different colored bottle, etc. I've had the old one for years as a little goes a long way.)

First, you mix the cleaner with water. I elected to mix up only one liter of soln instead of the whole gallon. Next, you need to wash & dry the car. Apply the cleaning soln to plastic trim, rinse off, then thoroughly dry. Then apply the product and repeat if necessary.

It did work well and overall I'm pleased. However, a few things bear mentioning. First, wear gloves as the product is a dye and though not too difficult to remove from your skin with water & detergent, it's best to wear gloves to begin with. Second, it pays to mask off the area with tape to protect your paint. On my white car, mistakes are glaringly obvious. I used 3M's general purpose adhesive remover to remove them. This product is safe for cured paint, but it will remove wax/sealant/silicone etc.

Third, I achieved better results on old, glazed, faded rubber trim, such as the upper windshield seal, by lightly wiping it with a green scrubbing pad to remove the oxidized glaze and expose new material underneath.

Fourth, paint it on using long smooth strokes to minimize streaking and use multiple coats, allowing each to dry. The product is a deep, flat black dye and benefits from being built up in layers.

Fifth, most likely it will badly splotch on faded black metal like windshield wiper arms, and metal trim so I don't recommend it on these surfaces.

It's only been on for a few weeks and not in any significant rain, so I'll have to report back after it's weathered a bit and the Tx Sun has beat on it a few months....

Funny, I just used some on my truck about an hour ago. I agree with everything you said. Still have to do the hard parts with a q-tip or something. Had this kit sitting around for about a year, finally decided to use it. Works well. Tends to streak on me if what im working on is hot and in the sun, but the directions tell you to not use in sun.

I used it on my windshield cowl with good results. After 9 months in the Arizona sun and hand washes every 7-10 days there were only a few spots I had to touch up. I totally agree about putting it on in multiple layers and letting each one dry. I had to do several layers to get even coverage.

UPDATE:
I think enough time has elapsed since the date of my post. I wanted to be sure this stuff would last. I'm impressed. I haven't done anything to it to maintain the look. All trim is still deep black. Volvo black trim is noted for graying out over time.

BTW, I also used this on a black poly SolaTube flashing up on the roof during the Summer that is about 17 yrs old. I'd used 403, Vinylx, Mequires, etc. but nothing lasted very long. It'll be an excellent long-term test due to its location and the Tx climate. I'll post a photo of it later.

IMG_6979_zpsf56f8c31.jpg

IMG_6978_zps09056b54.jpg

IMG_6977_zps2d7f3fcc.jpg

IMG_6976_zps98478b82.jpg

Forever Black is probably the best black trim treatment available as it has black dye in it...problem is finding it...it almost must be ordered online as I haven't been able to find it in any stores....

Is it sold at any auto parts stores? If so, which ones? None of the ones I've been to sell it.

I bought mine so long ago I don't recall the web site, but here is the product site. It appears that they sell on Amazon, amongst others.

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.html

I have used both the product for trim that was used above and the tire gel. The tire gel is great for those brand new tires that look brownish no matter what you do. I know the product package states that it last for months, but any time I have used it resulted in the deep black color remaining for the life of the tire - about two years for me. In other words, I am a big believer in Forever Black products.

I just received some via free shipping, from ebay.

I believe foreverblackdealer was the vendor.

Originally Posted By: OilFool
Try a product made by . . . .

This post is about my results with Forever Black. Don't propose another product here and confuse the issue. Thats hijacking. Start a new post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back