Looking for Montreal area pellet gun shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out today to my old pellet gunning area and it is very much a Quad / ATV / Snowmobile club now.

I have great respect for off-roaders as I used to be one for a long time.

Anyway, I don't want to wreck anyone's time running around shooting a pellet gun.

I have a Magnum air sporter that I legally own and would like to meet up with like minded shooters in and around the Montreal Area with a place to go with their air rifles for shooting practice to keep in form. I really don't want my shooting skills to disappear.

I am into targets, plinking, and pest control if you have grain and livestock on your land.

Happy New Year and PM me if you have any ideas or would like to meet up!

I can't help you in that arena but I am curious when you say you legally own a pellet rifle....are you permitted to own/use regular firearms?

I do enjoy shooting pellet rifles and own a Remington and, of course, Daisys and Crosmans. My grandchildren keep their firearms, including pellet/BB guns, at my place since we have the luxury of having a range on our property. We have a 50 yard handgun range and during the winter when the meadows die back, a 110 yard rifle/handgun range.

We shoot everything from BB's to a .50 BMG although at 110 yards, a 660 grain projectile hasn't even begun to straighten out....they like 300 yards as a minimum.

Anyway, just curious as to Canadian firearm laws.

Happy New Year to you too and if you're ever in the Eastern Pa area, let me know and you are welcome to use our range.

Plinking has become a gray area legally in Quebec.

You should be using a range to sight in a rifle or be using it for hunting.

I own many firearms but it isn't as easy to just go to a sand pit to shoot cans anymore here.

I was once shooting .22s with my father at a sand pit in Ste-Polycarpe and a SQ police officer parked his car and just let his siren blare and we didn't know what was going on. When we packed up to go home there was a number to call under our windshield wiper arm and it was the police, and he warned us not to go plinking there anymore. This was 20 years ago.

A "Magnum Air Sporter" means it is a PAL firearm (Possession Acquisition License) as it shoots over 500fps.

A pellet rifle still enjoys a casual clause where if you are caught, in a rural environment (out of "city limits") shooting tin cans, it is a reasonable use of the arm.

You don't "plink" anymore here, you "sight in at a range".

I am not a big fan of shooting ranges as you have to shoot from a rest and I don't think that is a realistic way to hunt so the practice is useless to me. I need plenty of off handed shooting to consider myself a good shooter.

A pellet rifle, in my experience, is very good practice as they are heavier and suffer from drift from wind more.

Also, a spring piston pellet rifle requires the same follow through as you would employ as shooting a bow, or you'll miss by 3" all the time.

Magnum pellet rifles are under-rated as a sport in North America. It is a pleasant sport and costs very little to do a lot of. And it is great for pest and rodent control.

thanks for explaining the difficulties of target shooting in Canada.

I feel the same about shooting ranges thus the reason we built our own. The last time I went to public range I saw so much unsafe firearm handling that my wife and I quickly left....didn't care much for the range gestapo either......he should have paid more attention to what was going on around him than worrying about policing your brass....he actually looked in our bag to make sure we didn't take anything that we were not shooting.....???....there must have been AT LEAST 10k cases on the ground.

Good luck on your search for a good shootin' spot!:

Well, the nice thing is I can still snowshoe and ski over there.

I really understand others' concerns about firearms in general so I try not to do it around other hobbyists.

I miss Alberta, this stuff is no big deal over there haha. Quebec can be a bit tense.

Here's a link to the Canadian Airgun Forum, maybe someone there will have a solution: http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/

BTW- I have a little Crosman 2289G Backpacker from Canada. I need to "De-Canadianize" the valve cartridge in it!
grin2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back