Do fuel additives really work ?¿?¿

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a combination of chevron fuel system cleaner, chevron fuel injector cleaner, and 6 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in 12 gallons of 93 octane gas ... The exhaust was hotter, had no smoke, and smelled like propane. I've used 9 to 10 of the gallons going 70 mph at 2000 rpm. Will this make a difference ?, if so how long do I have to go to see a difference if any ??
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Benefit of using a Fuel System Cleaner like Techron from Chevron is that they contain PEA. Its currently one of the best detergent additive in gasoline since it cleans without residue. It also does not need Heat to work. It is actually recommend to add FSC during mostly city driving cycle. The cleaning occurs when the leftover gasoline "drips" from the injectors dissolving any carbon buildup.

MMO functions primarily as an Upper Cylinder Lubricant or UCL. Most of the gasoline available in the market is an ethanol blend. Ethanol has a drying affect of seals/fuel system parts. MMO keeps this is check. Also fuel mixed with MMO, when sprayed into your cylinders via injectors coats the cylinder walls aiding lubrication ( hence UCL ).

MMO best works with continuous use. It is advised to perform "shock" treatment first usually, which can be accomplished by running a tank of gas mixed with an appropriate dose of FSC like Techron, Regane from Gumout or Redline SI-1. The PEA will first clean your fuel system out. Then MMO mixed in a tank of gas at the ratio of 3~4oz per 10 gallons as a maintainence dose.

This method seems to have been working the best for some of our members here.

If your consuming a lot of oil, adding a mostly lube additive like MMO to the gas could trigger a P0420 catalyst efficiency CEL. Cats hate oil and lube, especially late model (post 2002) vehicles with ECU's set with a higher catalyst efficiency threshold. Why I stick to the low lube modern PEA additives, lesson learned. Don't over do it just because you have a lot of it..

Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner actually works.

I am just of the crowd to do it before an oil change...

Would love to use some now but oil change is in the early Spring
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
If your consuming a lot of oil, adding a mostly lube additive like MMO to the gas could trigger a P0420 catalyst efficiency CEL. Cats hate oil and lube, especially late model (post 2002) vehicles with ECU's set with a higher catalyst efficiency threshold. Why I stick to the low lube modern PEA additives, lesson learned. Don't over do it just because you have a lot of it..

Yep. Lucas UCL have me P0420 code in my Altima. Stopped using it. Light stayed on for two years. Bottle of Regane HM cleared it in 75 miles.

You did not mention what problem you had/have? Typically you need to have a problem for the fuel additive to work.

Fuel additives are not the cure all for anything wrong with your vehicle.

Consider the fuel already has some cleaning additives mandated by the EPA. Most gas is E10 and that will tend to clean the tank to some extent.

If an injector is a little dirty, then a PEA based cleaner may help. If its got major problems then it needs to be pulled and sent out to be tested/cleaned/rebuilt. PEA based cleaners can also help with carbon deposits in the cylinders.

MMO helps people feel better, but does little for the engine.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You did not mention what problem you had/have? Typically you need to have a problem for the fuel additive to work.

Fuel additives are not the cure all for anything wrong with your vehicle.

Some years ago my LS400 barely passed smog test with only 4-5% less than maximum level of some tests, I don't remember if it was CO or HC. I used 1 full bottle of Redline SI1 after that smog test and 2 years later another bottle Redline just before the test, that test was passed with flying color.

From driver seat I could not tell the difference before and after using Redline fuel system cleaner SI1, but I think it does some cleaning that effect the smog at the tail pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back