Going to get an oil change at Walmart (I know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, due to Iowa winters and below freezing temps I'm taking my truck to walmart tomorrow afternoon to get an oil change. It wasn't my first choice but all other shops in town are booked through Thursday. I requested the $49 full synthetic job, but my question is, can I use any oil and filter I want? For example, would a change with Supertech Synthetic and a Fram OCOD be the same price as Pennzoil Ultra and Bosch D+ change? Thanks!

Yes, you can but they will up charge for you doing so. (It's either $5 or $10, can't remember which.)

I think they have a bottled oil deal where you buy the stuff there and pay them to put it in.

They generally do a competent job, the "hook" is to have you stranded in the store for 45 minutes potentially buying stuff.

Please don't.I had bad luck with them and now I siphon my oil out because they cross threaded my drain plug otherwise NEW OIL PAN.

check the oil level. last time my roommate did it they overfilled by at least 2 quarts.

Before I discovered BITOG, I used Walmart occasionally for an oil change (both in Canada and the US). Never a problem. Maybe I just got lucky.

In regards to the OP's question: normally Walmart offers Pennzoil w/OCOD as their "house brand". They do offer a oil change service where they charge you a flat fee and you bring your own oil and filter.

To really put it to them, bring a competitors coupon and they will match it. My father does it all the time with the jiffy lube 9.99 coupon for a regular OC.....

During college, I used WM every 2.5 months and the ony problem I ever had was she they used 10w30 instead of 5w30. Minor issue since it was summer and the car ran constant 30 mile highway run from the house to college and another 30 miles home 5 days a week.

I will never, ever have an oil change done at Walmart.
#1, I prefer to do it myself.
#2, when I did have it done there 6 yrs ago, I was in a pinch and needed the oil changed before a long trip. Stupid me did not check their work and they forgot to put the oil cap back on. The rest is history.

They forgot the drain plug or the fill cap? 1. You can catch a missing fill cap issue almost immediate as soon as you start seeing smoke from under the hood. 2. Drain plug: Always try to check for leaks and check the fill cap and dip stick immediately after car is done.
In all the years I've been driving (over 40) I can't recall more than once where I let someone else change my oil; it was a Honda dealer and they overfilled it.

Originally Posted By: dernp
#2, when I did have it done there 6 yrs ago, I was in a pinch and needed the oil changed before a long trip. Stupid me did not check their work and they forgot to put the oil cap back on. The rest is history.

Last edited:
what I'm about to tell you will sound exaggerated, but it is absolutely true...

@ 5 years ago when I first moved to the Hershey/Palmyra area I owned a 'hand-me-down' 1998 Subaru Forester (as a replacement for the 2005 Saturn Ion that I totalled in an accident); I needed an oil change and stopped at the local Walmart...I did my usual browsing/shopping when I got paged to the service department after @ 1 1/2 hours...

the lower bay tech bent (basically wrecked) the screw-on transmission filter when he 'mistaked' it for the oil filter (I think the lack of an oil pan drain bolt in the vicinity would have clued you in to remove the guard plate below the engine!!!) I think they also ended up draining my transmission also (I didn't know engine oil was red in color!!!)

by the time I got the page they had 'performed the requested service' and managed to somehow get my damaged transmission filter remounted and 'pressure tested for leaks'...here's the kicker: they gave me a 'complimentary' oil change and would do a transmission service 'free of charge' after their [censored] up...(even made me 'sign' a hand written document stating what they did, took responsibility for, and what their 'offer' was); I took my keys, went up front to talk to a store manager (ended up with a CSM) and the 'representative' I spoke with wasn't sure WHY I WAS UPSET considering that they offered to rectify it; I basically said I wasn't gonna give them another chance to [censored] up my vehicle again & that didn't seem to phase her...WTH?!?

I calmed down and explained to her that they didn't properly train someone before he was let loose to service automobiles and that it could have left me without a running vehicle if he punched a screwdriver thru the 'transmission filter' (which they DO NOT STOCK replacments for!) to get it off...that's when she 'seemed to get it' about the mess they created, but still stuck behind the service manager about their 'offer'...needless to say I left rather upset!!!

the next day I made an appointment with my local Subaru dealer for a transmission service (over $100) and told them the story about what Walmart did...they consoled me and we had a good laugh; still haven't let that Walmart touch any other vehicle I have owned since then!!!

Originally Posted By: notech47
They forgot the drain plug or the fill cap? 1. You can catch a missing fill cap issue almost immediate as soon as you start seeing smoke from under the hood. 2. Drain plug: Always try to check for leaks and check the fill cap and dip stick immediately after car is done.
In all the years I've been driving (over 40) I can't recall more than once where I let someone else change my oil; it was a Honda dealer and they overfilled it.

Originally Posted By: dernp

It was the fill cap they did not put back on. You are correct in that you can catch it immediately. Problem was that I did not catch it and it was my wife that had the truck.

As a former TLE mgr,
Be afraid,Be Very Afraid
31.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
Id rather go back to graham and get the kendall synblend and tire rotation for $39.00.

^This and only this^ otherwise do it yourself.

My WalMart does an excellent job for oil/filter changes and tire rotation. They don't use bulk oil like some cheepo places that try to tell you that you're getting top grade quality oil. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My WalMart does an excellent job for oil/filter changes and tire rotation. They don't use bulk oil like some cheepo places that try to tell you that you're getting top grade quality oil. Ed

Their synthetic and high mileage oils are in bulk now, by way of the Eco packs.

I think their house-brand oil filter is $2, so any filter upgrade will be discounted that amount.

I think Walmart still requires their techs to use a torque wrench upon reinstalling the drain plug, but why bother, if you are not going to replace the crush washer?

You will get the correct oil you ask for, but the guys will botch your stuff up. They most likely won't top anything else off if they even check that as last of the deal anymore, and they will gorilla tighten your filter and plug on.

Heck, they snapped the actual dipstick in my brother in laws car when he went there right in front of him with the handle in the workers hand and the stick stuck down somewhere in the tube or block. He went insane on the manager after that.

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
You will get the correct oil you ask for,

Possible, but DON'T bet on it. I caught them squirting bulk Pennzoil in after I paid for Mobil 1, and in another instance, they double filled, putting 12 quarts in my 2000 Silverado.

From that point on, I am DIY, but I would still use WalMart ONLY if I watch them from beginning to end.

My friend, Valerie, used WM for years with her minivan; never an issue.

I generally would rather have a small business owner (mechanic with a garage) do an OC if I paid someone. "Skin in the game" is a big factor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back