Does 10W-40 Mobil Super 5000 & HM have titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and have not found answer to this. Mobil's pds says only 5W-20/30 and 10W-30 have "friction-reducing additives", which I take it is their titanium add. 10W-40 and 20W-50 do not have this FRA. Does anyone know if it does have it and if not, what would it have? I emailed Mobil but no response.

How is putting any form of titanium into a motor oil going to help a cars engine ???
sick.gif

Yes they do. UOA's are indicating that Mobil Super has about 30 ppm of titanium additive, which is an anti-wear additive.

For comparison, Kendall uses nearly triple the amount of titanium over Mobil. Castrol Edge FST, Castrol's top oil, also uses titanium of about 30 ppm but their titanium is apparently somewhat different, as Castrol advertises it as "patent pending".

If you review UOA's, so far the results with oils using titanium have been very good, and many users have claimed better fuel mileage as well. Ironically Mobil Super is both a syn blend and has titanium in it, and Mobil advertises neither feature that I know of.

Titanium is thought to possibly be a low cost alternative to moly, although it apparently works very well, I find it interesting Mobil does not use it at all in their premium Mobil 1 line up, just the valued priced Super. But you can't argue with results!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yes they do. UOA's are indicating that Mobil Super has about 30 ppm of titanium additive, which is an anti-wear additive.

For comparison, Kendall uses nearly triple the amount of titanium over Mobil. Castrol Edge FST, Castrol's top oil, also uses titanium of about 30 ppm but their titanium is apparently somewhat different, as Castrol advertises it as "patent pending".

If you review UOA's, so far the results with oils using titanium have been very good, and many users have claimed better fuel mileage as well. Ironically Mobil Super is both a syn blend and has titanium in it, and Mobil advertises neither feature that I know of.

Titanium is thought to possibly be a low cost alternative to moly, although it apparently works very well, I find it interesting Mobil does not use it at all in their premium Mobil 1 line up, just the valued priced Super. But you can't argue with results!

Mobil Super is a regular conventional via pds
Mobil Super HM is a blend - states it on the back of the jug and on the pds.

Originally Posted By: jrtribology
How is putting any form of titanium into a motor oil going to help a cars engine ???
sick.gif

JRTribology, apparently there is some benefit to it yet some say it's too early to tell. I think there is hence this post and query IF Mobil's heavier weight dino oils have it. If not, blended/synthetic Kendall or synthetic Castrol Edge would be the only options. Click on this thread for more info:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2671833

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Mobil Super is a regular conventional via pds
Mobil Super HM is a blend - states it on the back of the jug and on the pds.

Yes you are right my mistake too late to edit though, thanks!

Ok, just got off the phone from Mobil. The technician said that all of them have the friction reducing additive - just at different levels. He did not specify if they are all titanium though. I guess we have to wait for some VOA's on this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back