Drain Plug Torque Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that there is such variation between engines. And what is with the wide range like 15-25 lbs while most are a single number? Why don't they pick the middle and say 20?

Originally Posted By: yonyon
That chart must be wrong. My 1" impact doesn't have a setting anywhere near that low.

Look again its there.

That chart must be wrong. My 1" impact doesn't have a setting anywhere near that low.

Seriously, you're not using an impact wrench on a drain plug?

Originally Posted By: Burt
Interesting that there is such variation between engines. And what is with the wide range like 15-25 lbs while most are a single number? Why don't they pick the middle and say 20?

Because it just isn't all that critical. If they give a range, like 20 to 30 ft-lbs for example, then 20 provides plenty of torque to make sure it doesn't leak or come loose, and 30 is still well short of damaging anything. Most cars I've worked on are perfectly happy with anything in the range of about 20 to 30 ft-lbs.

LOL, I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
What's the problem with that? It's SOP at Jiffy Lube...

Interesting that there is such variation between engines.

Yup, just take a look at my 6.6 duramax. I've never seen anything so high on a consumer vehicle...62 ft-lbs. And that's what I torque it at too.

Hang around here enough and you'll begin to recognize yonyon's humor... It's often subtle and masterfully intertwined with excellent advice.

Why would an engineer design a drain plug for less than 10 ft lbs? You would have to get out an inch lb wrench to tighten the plug for those vehicles. Better off, just use the Fumoto drain valve...

What's the issue with a torque spec under 10 ft. lbs? Low torque sealing gaskets or o-rings work well enough for this sort of purpose and as a bonus, they last a very long time.

If you're feeling too lazy to get out the inch pound torque wrench (although that's a good plan) you have the option of using a nut driver. It is generally accepted practice to use a nut driver in combination with a wrist. A good wrist will have a built in (although not necessarily very high precision) torque wrench. The low precision is acceptable when what you really need is tight enough that it won't back out, but not so tight that you break something.

FYI, I suspect that those torque specs are not valid unless you use a new crush washer as per the OEM's requirements.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: notech47
Why would an engineer design a drain plug for less than 10 ft lbs? You would have to get out an inch lb wrench to tighten the plug for those vehicles. Better off, just use the Fumoto drain valve...

On the drain plugs and cartridge filters that call for under 20 ft-lbs, I always use my inch-lb torque wrench.

In earlier days when Fords all had a 3/4" head(or was it 13/16"?) on the plug I used a specific open end wrench every time... These days since everything seems to have a different size I just grab what's handy, but mostly a 8 or 10" Crescent wrench...

Just did changes on two recent additions to the fleet and had to use 3/8" breaker bar to loosen those... Reinstalled with same but at much less torque... And the TQ wrench??? That's a joke, haven't used one in over 44 years of vehicle ownership, not going to start now... Well maybe I'll put it on my New Years resolution list that I never keep...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Just did changes on two recent additions to the fleet and had to use 3/8" breaker bar to loosen those... Reinstalled with same but at much less torque... And the TQ wrench??? That's a joke, haven't used one in over 44 years of vehicle ownership, not going to start now... Well maybe I'll put it on my New Years resolution list that I never keep...

Try working on some VWs, or many late-model cars with aluminum oil pans....they are not too forgiving with the "good-en-tight" method.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
What's the problem with that? It's SOP at Jiffy Lube...

Maybe that's why fast lube places are known for stripping threads on drain plug holes.

Tighten it one handed, not grabbing the far end of your socket wrench. This is a reason I generally switch to nylon washers rather than aluminum. They require less torque. I don't have lots of experience due to the few cars I have had - I keep my cars a long time. I replace the drain plug with a valve and the never worry about drain plug gaskets or torque again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back