HELP!! Passat 1.8T Sludgebucket

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member here. Got a Passat 1.8T 2001 w/77,000
mi. Oil light came on. Got it to our mechanic. Confirmed oil pressure is low & to get it to VW for
the extended warrenty work. Engine is sludged. Common with this engine. VW denied claim based on we
don't have all oil change records. $9,000 for new engine. Runs good without noises now, but trouble is
just around the corner with extremely low pressure.
You have to take the car's frame apart to get to the
oil pan (10 hr job). What about Auto-RX. Can I restore enough oil flow before major damage. The car's worth 5,000 in good shape. Mechanic says go for it. I don't have anything to lose. But he says I

But he says I need to use a heavy oil. I would have
thought a lighter oil would be better for better flow. Any ideas. I'm between a rock and a hard place. Think the ARX will work in time? Any other
suggestions. I do think there is minimal damage at this point if any. Beware. VW is not honoring this
extended warrenty on this engine they publisized. They use any excuse to slither out. I used synthetic oil on changes except for the last one. I may tow this 2001 Passat to the junk yard if this doesn't work.

Ok...just a little confused here.

Are you still running the original engine? If so, what did the mechanic do that causes it to "run good without noises now"?

Sorry, I should have posted this under Oil Additives.
Can anyone fix this. Yes original engine. Only symptom is low pressure, but based on this engines
history, sludge is almost a sure thing. Just a little noise from the lifters now. Otherwise running
OK. All he did was change the oil a tell me to get it to VW. He was shocked that they would not honor
the warrenty.

No worries...the moderators will move it to the appropriate area.

If you want to use ARX, then go for it. Personally, I've never had the need to use the stuff, even in engines with heavy deposit accumulation (such as yours).

If this car were mine, I'd immediately switch it to either a 5w-40 or 15w-40 HDEO.

A 15w will probably be a bit much for your location this time of year and the temperatures you will see, so if you don't mind spending a bit more, Rotella T 5w-40 can be had at Wal-Mart for $12/gallon.

Pick up a SuperTech filter while your there as well...

aero nut,

The mech is suggesting a thick oil to help protect the bearings. I have not researched the sludging problems on VW's because I have already read enough about VWOA to avoid any more of their cars. I would suggest emailing AutoRX and asking them their advise - they are usually helpful and timely in their response.

Jelly,

The mechanic didn't fix anything, he brought it in because of low oil psi.

Brian

quote:

Originally posted by brian:
The mechanic didn't fix anything, he brought it in because of low oil psi.

Yeah...I just couldn't quite tell if he had the engine replaced and was having problems again, just had the old engine checked out, or had the old engine "cleaned" in some fashion or another.

My mech. just changed the oil to synthetic and put
a good filter on it. The presssure didn't come up with synthetic. I doubt I'll be buying a VW again.
Just want to get enough pressure back so the warning
doesn't come on so I can trade it in. This puppy has many other issues. Understand Toyota has alot of engines out there with a major sludge problem and
they have been recalcitrant to honor thier warrenty.
Where do you go for a decent car?? Honda. They have
had thier share of tranny problems.

What "synthetic" did he use? I'm betting it wasn't an HDEO 5w-40.
wink.gif

Will it be below 15F or so where you are at?

Sorry Jelly, couldn't tell you exactly which syn he
used. No it won't be below 15 here, and if it was I could just not drive it.
Thanks Sanchez for that article. It was dated today.
You guys are sure "Up to the minute".
Maybe VW is softening up on thier position. Yes I'm
going to wait a while to hit them up.
Hey Jelly. Explain that oil to me.

The first thing that you should do is to contact the Better Business Bureau in your area and let them know about the dealer. This always works!!!

If the dealer still refuses to honor the warrenty, I would then AutoRX the engine.

Good Luck.

If it's not going to be below 15F, then skip the 5w-40 and go with a 15w-40, either Delo or Delvac.

Both are available for $6-$7/gallon.

Change every 4,000 miles.

What's with the oil Jelly? I don't think a heavier
oil is going to solve this problem. Ususally the oil
pickup screen is blocked or the gallyways are blocked with sludge. Sometimes the pump has to be replace from sludgeing. The problem is to get the oil pan off you have to dissasemble the frame. Go figure. Really need to solublize the sludge and thought ARX might be able to do it before the onset of major damage. If I get the think de-junked then I'll worry about using better oil.

quote:

Originally posted by aero nut:
Just want to get enough pressure back so the warning doesn't come on so I can trade it in.

I'm to honest a person to do this, but if you have no scruples, clandestinely disconnect the oil pressure switch when you go to shop at the dealers. Peferably the one you bought the car from.

-

quote:

Originally posted by aero nut:
Think the ARX will work in time? Any other
suggestions?... .

From one VW owner to another, here's what I'm thinking:
How mechanically inclined are you? If you're a DIY'er like most of us in this forum, buy yourself a Bentley manual ($79 @Amazon.com), follow the instructions exactly & remove the oil pan yourself.

If you don't yet have a good floor jack ($100-200) & a set of jack stands (
After removing the pan, you'll want to clean off the oil pickup screen as best you can. Then, wipe the oil pan out with a clean rag, re-install, & do an Auto-rx clean(w/synthetic oil) & rinse(w/dino oil) per their insructions.

After the Auto-rx, use only VW 502.00 approved full synthetic oil. Also use a good filter, such as Mann, Mahle, Mobil 1, Napa, Wix, or Purolator. I wouldn't use Fram. Since this engine has already had a problem, I'd say any extended drains are probably out of the question. 4-5k OCI's MAX.

With all that said, your engine might still be toast, but a few hundred bucks for a potential solution is a lot better than $9000 for a new engine. I hope you get it fixed.

My mechanic advised against trying to remove oil pan by myself. It's a 8-10 hr job to take the frame apart ( I've verified that it's true ). Crazy German design Ja Vohl?? I tend to be too honest myself, but
if I can dump this on the VW dealer, I will.

aero nut,

I am somewhat familiar with the work that is involved with dropping the pan on the Passat. Yes, it is time-consuming, but with a few common tools & a Bentley manual, it's not too difficult.

Just think of it as a Saturday "project". Throw in a few rest breaks & after a good 8-10 hrs. you'd have it knocked out. Just think how manly you would feel after it was all done. Come on man, I'm trying to motivate ya!
wink.gif

Best wishes to you in getting this taken care of by VWOA. As a previous poster said, contact your local BBB & file a complaint if VWOA & your local dealer are giving you a solid "NO".

Is there any way you could scrounge up your oil receipts? Maybe check with the places you bought the oil from? Most places have those records in their computer.

Even though filters are my thing..this may be of help.

Volkswagen to work with dealers to improve guidelines for sludge repairs
RALPH KISIEL | Automotive News
Posted Date: 2/7/05

NEW ORLEANS - Volkswagen of America Inc. will work with dealers to develop less-stringent guidelines on free repairs for vehicles with oil-sludge problems.

Dealers have been asking VW for more lenient guidelines for owners who encounter problems with engine sludge even though they have maintained vehicles properly. The topic arose at VW's make meeting.

"I think we'll see the restrictions relaxed," said Bob Grace, chairman of the VW National Dealer Council. "The bottom line is we need to do the right thing."

In August, VW acknowledged oil sludge problems in some VW Passat and Audi A4 models. It has required customers to show proof that they followed factory recommendations on oil changes.

But sometimes VW owners who have been diligent about maintaining their vehicles don't have all of their receipts, Grace said.

"VW will work with the dealer council - a collaborative effort - to come up with something less restrictive," he said.

Len Hunt, vice president in charge of the VW brand in the United States, said the guidelines should be formulated by the end of February. Hunt said he and Grace will inform dealers then.

"We're going to find a happy medium," Hunt said. "We're not going to cover repairs for someone who drives 80,000 miles without ever servicing the car. But for the owner who has done the reasonable thing, maybe missing one oil change, we will address that owner."

VW dealers also learned that VW will create a rapid-response team to smooth the March 19 launch of the redesigned 2005 Jetta.

"We need a successful launch of the Jetta," said Grace, of Southpoint Volkswagen in Baton Rouge, La. "All our hopes are pinned on it The Jetta is VW's best-selling U.S. model.

"We've never had this kind of launch team. That's pretty important to us," Grace said.

In the past, VW dealers had to endure a launch without getting vehicle owner manuals or other important point-of-sale information, Grace said.

VW's team will have more than 30 quality engineers standing by to solve launch problems, including engineers from the Puebla, Mexico, plant where the Jetta is assembled, Hunt said.

"The idea is to fix it like lightning, should any problem arise," Hunt said.

Team members will be placed in VW headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich., and in cities where Jetta sells in high volumes, Hunt said.

VW also told dealers that it would work with them to develop new brand standards to replace the program that is expiring at year end.

Dealers earn cash incentives for adopting the standards, which typically involve investing in exclusive dealerships, building and process improvements.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101755

You could hit the engine with the hdeo Rotella 5w40. Or as of this writing, an attractive low cost alternative would be the Maxlife Syn(on sale at AZ in 5w30 and 10w30 wt)that has the vw 502 approval explicitly required for the 1.8T.

You also need to increase the oil capacity as well, so go for the newly VW designated bigger 068-115-561 "diesel" oil filter since you plan on filing for the sludge warranty...you want the dealer to see an oem filter on to solidify your claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back