Farmall stock puller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a newly acquired 1951 Farmall M that I will be using in antique tractor pulls next year. It is slightly modifed (cam, larger pistons, sleeves removed, governor tension reduced for higher rpms) other than that it is stock.

My question what should I run for oil? I run M1 in all my other vehicles and really like it. However since M1 is not available in a SAE 30, not an option. SAE 30 is what the manual for this tactor recommends and I also think it would be better due to this tractor never really getting up to operating temperature as a puller, short runs and it will never do farm work... Also will never be ran in cold weather. So in this case is straight weight better than multi? And which synthetic? Price is not a concern. Thanks

Many - probably most things - spec'd for 30 weight years ago will be very happy with M1 10W-30. Use it and don't worry about it. Others will probably suggest other viscosities and they are going to OK too. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
If its not going to be getting up to operating temperature, I would think that you'll benefit from using a multi-viscosity oil that doesn't thicken as much when cool. If it were mine, I'd probably let it warm up a bit before a run though.

Does this have a gasoline 4-cylinder engine? If you're looking for the absolute best protection and don't mind paying for it, Mobil 1 Racing is the good stuff. It can be ordered from Amazon.

Personally, I'd use Rotella T6, which can be had at Wal-Mart in gallon jugs for about $21.

Do you have a photo to share? I appreciate old tractors.

Yes 4 cylinder gas. I'll try and get a photo, it's currently partially disassembled...

It will be ran before making a run, but I doubt if it will get up to operating temp...

My thought process was since it would not be at operating temp., the 10W30 would never reach its best lubricating point... That's why I thought the straight weight would be better since it will immediately be able to lubricate at its full potential...

Am I interpreting this wrong?

Originally Posted By: KTNC
Yes 4 cylinder gas. I'll try and get a photo, it's currently partially disassembled...

It will be ran before making a run, but I doubt if it will get up to operating temp...

My thought process was since it would not be at operating temp., the 10W30 would never reach its best lubricating point... That's why I thought the straight weight would be better since it will immediately be able to lubricate at its full potential...

Am I interpreting this wrong?

Yes, you are interpreting this wrong.

SAE30 will be much, MUCH thicker when cold than 10w30. So the 10w30 will flow much better. SAE30 is a 30 weight when at 100C, so is 10w30. At starting temps, both are heavier than that. The 10w30 is a better choice here.

Or 5w-X, or 0w-X. I don't know anything about this motor, but being as old as it is, does its design require higher levels of ZDDP than is in modern SN-rated oil?

Ok. Sounds like multi viscosity it is... I hear a lot about Rotella 15W40 for these old tractors on this site and on others...

Opinions on Rotella 15W40 vs. Mobil 1 10W30?

Farmall Ms are a great tractor. Hold onto that one! I sold my '51 H about 3 years ago, and I regret it everyday. My parents moved to a neighborhood, and I started college, so I no longer had the room or the need for the tractor.
frown.gif

Pretty much any oil today will be better than what they had in the 1950s. I ran Rotella 15w40 in mine, and it ran great with that. I could use the tractor all day and only use a tiny bit of fuel. Mobil 1 10w30 should work, but if you still have the old seals I'd stay away from it. Mine leaked a decent amount from the rear main, and I bet Mobil 1 10w30 would have poured out of it like water.
lol.gif

Edit: I second the need for pics! Love those old Farmalls!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Or 5w-X, or 0w-X. I don't know anything about this motor, but being as old as it is, does its design require higher levels of ZDDP than is in modern SN-rated oil?

Since you have a larger than stock cam, you will benefit from higher than normal ZDDP found in SM and SN oils.

5w40 or 15w40 diesel engine oil is an easy way to get an oil with more ZDDP. If you read the UOA section, you will find good results from using such oil in a gasoline engine, especially one with flat lifters.

Originally Posted By: KTNC
Opinions on Rotella 15W40 vs. Mobil 1 10W30?

I'd stick with the HDEO. If you're stuck on a Mobil product, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10w-30 would do the job, being an HDEO.

So the engine is going to see higher RPM's than the factory intended for the first half of the pull, and then it is going to get lugged to a very low RPM until the tractor either spins out, or you clutch it to prevent a stall...this is not the place for a passenger car oil. When you lug an engine like that, you are relying on the film of oil and the additive package to keep things functional. I would use a heavy-duty SAE 30 or 15w-40 in this application.

Ok, multi viscosity HDEO... Since I like synthetic thoughts on:

Mobil Delvac 5W40 vs. Rotella T6 5W40

I'm a big Delvac fan, but Rotella is a good choice as well. If both are available to you, use whichever you can get the best deal on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back