Diesel Purge in Common Rail TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 09 Jetta TDI CBEA (common rail) and just got a can of Lubri Moly Diesel Purge to mainline to maintain injectors. I've read some really good stuff regarding this used in earlier TDI's, but found some vague rumblings about how prudent it would be running it through common rails. I know some about the HPFP failures of late with these models, but from the glowing praise I've read about this stuff, I think I'll give it a try. Anyone have any strong opinions about why I shouldn't?

Originally Posted By: Jdragnfly
I have an 09 Jetta TDI CBEA (common rail) and just got a can of Lubri Moly Diesel Purge to mainline to maintain injectors. I've read some really good stuff regarding this used in earlier TDI's, but found some vague rumblings about how prudent it would be running it through common rails. I know some about the HPFP failures of late with these models, but from the glowing praise I've read about this stuff, I think I'll give it a try. Anyone have any strong opinions about why I shouldn't?

The best thing to do is send an e mail to them and ask about the procedure. There is no need to use diesel fuel additives or cleaners unless you have a clearly defined problem like fuel contamination in the oil, so you might want to think about sending off a used oil sample to Blackstones next oil change. If your injectors have worn tips no additive or cleaner can help.

The only cases of common rail HPFP failures have been put down to using cheap supermarket fuel.

I personally always used high quality BP, Esso or Shell fuel in my Mondeo tdci and in my V50.

Wife uses cheap stuff despite my protestations and she has some injector noise.

I do dose it with Redex at oil change time and sometimes 2 stroke oil.

The Mondeo tdci was well know to have HPFP issues especially in the 130bhp version that I had. Well I owned it from 80k till over 220k and my mate traded it in with 250k plus recently.

I only cleaned the EGR valve once at about 150k and it ran aswell when sold as when bought over four years earlier, actually was stil returning 54mpg with my mates usage.

I personally think the fear of failure with common rail fuel pumps is over rated, I never heard of one pump failure with the 2.7 Sprinters at work, again they were only ever run on BP as the service had a contract with them, as did the Met Police.

Since the introduction of the CR engines in the Passat it is now much more reliable. To the extent that most people avoid the non CR.

I would use 2stroke at a 200:1 ratio a d use decent diesel.

Don't forget that was good enough for Mercedes on an expedition to, I believe North Africa or Mongolia a few years ago, to protect the engine and fuel system from lower quality fuels.

I also understand why they didn't widely publicise it.

But I also advise my inlaws in Ghana to use 2 stroke in all diesel vehicles, so far no issues.

Nearly all non electrical fuel injection faults are caused by one of the following problems:
1/ Poor filtration, often because of a hole in a Fleabay or inconvenience store fuel filter.
2/ Not running the engine for long periods of time, resulting in corrosion of the injector tips in particular.
3/ Low fuel specs causing gum deposits, but bad rather than dirty fuel can cause other problems that might require an approved fuel additive in some countries.
It does help to use a major brand fuel company, as you get what you pay for. I always stick to Aral (BP owned) in Germany, but any major oil company puts additives in the fuel to avoid it causing problems.
Fuel quality is more important with a diesel than a petrol engine due to bacterial growth and wax formation in low temps.

Originally Posted By: Jdragnfly

because it's primarily diesel fuel... the question would be... does it have enough lubricity?

I would fill the fuel filter with it, with the next fuel filter change.

If you're paranoid with the HPFP... then use:
http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=75
lubricity.jpg

with every tank, and do a gradual clean & maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back