1994 5.7 TBI running rough, backfiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
it was the PCM.....$89 and fixed.

Thanks so much folks....especially Phishin and OVERKILL!

You are very welcome, but it was Phishin who called it with the ECM, so props to him for suggesting it
thumbsup2.gif

Good to see you figured it out. Every one of your posts screamed timing, and a bad PCM will really throw you for a loop.

I agree with you mattd and the timing was really throwing me off....I guarantee I've checked and re-checked the timing a dozen times....cam timing and ignition. I never would have thought the ECU would cause it.

I wish I could brag that I figured it out but in the end it was a matter of throwing my wallet at it....lol! Luckily, Phishin posted about the timing mark I was seeing and thought the ECU was toast...and he was right.

I really appreciate all the help and responses folks....I would'nt have stuck with it so long if y'all weren't holding my hand.....thanks again.

BITOG rules!

Fleetmon out!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Advance your timing - please!

mechtech, are you advising to advance the timing contrary to the book spec?

In this case, yes. At least it will be a good test.
You describe classic retarded timing symptoms.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon

I wish I could brag that I figured it out but in the end it was a matter of throwing my wallet at it....lol! Luckily, Phishin posted about the timing mark I was seeing and thought the ECU was toast...and he was right.

Geez, I blushed when I read this. LOL!! Glad I could help. I've only had my K1500 for 18 months, but I've went through almost the entire truck.

Glad I could help. Honestly. Makes me feel like a part of the cog here on BITOG. I'm always asking weird/dumb/noob questions all the time. Mixing all kinds of crazy concoctions, and getting yelled at for it....or at least people shaking their heads at me. Oh well. Glad she is running. These old Chevy 350 TBI's are dogs (190HP when new), but they are they don't die easily....and are cheap and fairly easy to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back