Orange discoloration aluminum cylinder head

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I remembered from years ago what oils/types caused orange discoloration inside the engine, mostly seen in an aluminum cylinder head since it's easy to see over what should be a bright silver color.

Thought it was from parafin based oils but now I can't remember and can't find anything using google or search on this site. I thought the old quaker state used to do it alot.

-Chris

It's probably more the dye used in the oil than what type it is.

FWIW, I have engines that have exclusively used conventional and the aluminum heads are clean as a whistle.

Over the years I've seen red, brown, sometimes orange varnish with the same oil in a different engine. Why the different colors I don't know.

Hmmmm. A certain oil maybe?
I took the heads off my '88 Cougar (with aluminum heads) that had 300K miles on it and they were super clean. No discoloration of any type and they didn't even have any any carbon on them. I had them rebuilt and they are now on my daughter's Mustang, still racking up the miles.

Pennzoil High Mileage did that several years back, and now it is still orange on a white paper towel after I wiped the dipstick. I don't know if it's parifin based.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Pennzoil High Mileage did that several years back, and now it is still orange on a white paper towel after I wiped the dipstick. I don't know if it's parifin based.

Most conventionals are paraffin based. I have used QS HM with no discoloration whatsoever.

Go to the QS site and read the myth vs fact on paraffinic motor oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back