CAT 40wt Natural Gas Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a supply of CAT Natural Gas Compressor engine oil. It is 40wt and only has one hour of run time at idle on an engine dyno. What else can I use this oil for? I have 125 gallons of it, so it would be nice to find something besides bar and chain oil for my chainsaw to use it in. What are the characteristics of this type of oil? Is it diesel compatable?

IDK but
welcome2.gif

Is this the stuff?

http://parts.cat.com/parts/machine-fluids/oils/natural-gas-engine-oil/cat-ngeo-advanced-40

Looks like it is probably the stuff I got. Probably no good for any of my duramax diesels. Maybe I can use it in my old flathead chrysler 6 cylinder gas engine for my welder.

You mention compressor oil? cause CAT actually does sell/service Solar turbines/compressors.

I think what you have is what you listed, Natural gas engine oil, i'm guessing it was drained from a G3516/3520? It has low anti wear additives, like 400ppm zinc. I'm not too keen to run it in anything but an industrial gas engine. If you want to see more info look up Mobil Pegasus oil, that is what the CAT gas engine oil is.

Last edited:
it is not appropriate for diesel engine lubrication due to low additive levels, but it might make good diesel fuel for an older engine - especially diluted with regular fuel.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back