How to *remove* Armor-All?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I (finally) got my car back from the body shop this evening. Unfortunately, it went through their 'detail' lane and there's grease (Armor-All) all over the interior. How can I remove this from the dash panels without just smearing it around? I was thinking simple Windex (that's what I normally use to clean the dash), but thought I'd ask first to see if anyone knows a trick to cut this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Is it Armor All, or is it some 10w-30 that has been smeared on with a rag?

Sometimes, it is difficult to see any difference in the two.
mad.gif

I use the aerosol Dow bathroom cleaner (the scrubbing bubbles stuff) to clean vinyl and plastic inside the car. It cleans and leaves a nice scent behind.

Spray it on, wait a few seconds, and wipe off with a cotton towel.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I would go back and ask why those bozos put that [censored] on my interior.

I'm inclined to agree.

Well that sucks, I would bet it's not Armor All. Armor All is (and has been for a while) water based and fairly easy to remove. I'm one of the lucky guys that gets called to remove the nasty greasy silicone based "dressings" the local car wash smears all over their customers interiors, it's a total PITA to remove.

Thanks guys. I will look for the Rustoleum product.

Curious: why no Windex on the hard interior plastics? Also, it's not technically Windex, but a generic aerosol glass cleaner product. I incorrectly used the Windex brand name to mean glass cleaner...if it makes a difference.

Down boy! No need to hate on ArmorAll so much. It's not the greatest product , but it isn't harmful or anything. Different strokes for different folks.

Windex will slowly deteriorate some plastics and in a pinch will probably do a lot towards drying all plastic out.

P&S xpress interior cleaner works well for this sort of stuff.

If it isn't too expensive to ship, I could look into sending some to you.

Windex is hard on plastic? Really?

Doesn't it come in a plastic bottle?

I'd think I would have noticed a problem with that by now.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
The Rustoleum stuff look much scarier than whatever the deal used...

No not at all. Its not like Prep-Sol, i used it to clean plastic interior parts prior to painting them.
It does not discolor, soften, harden or damage it an any way. I does strip it of shine and preservative products, oils, grease, etc.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Windex is hard on plastic? Really?

Doesn't it come in a plastic bottle?

I'd think I would have noticed a problem with that by now.

There are many kinds of plastic. Just because it comes in a plastic bottle doesn't mean it's a good choice on all plastics. Take a look at what it does to window tint, for example. It will fog over some lexan plastics and it will dry out most other types. Ammonia is not something to take lightly with plastic.

Ask what they smeared on your car.

In situations like this I try to go from least powerful to more powerful. Once I find what it is. A wet cloth to start. Interior cleaner would be next. Just because something does a super job removing what was smeared does not mean it was the best product for the job at hand.

I am sure acetone or lacquer thinner would remove it, but maybe damage the interior at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Ask what they smeared on your car.

They probably used some kind of silicone-based dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back