3 cold starts in a row = no start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've experienced this on both the Expedition and the BMW. I've told my wife never, EVER move the vehicle a few feet. If it gets started, it goes for a drive, PERIOD. Consecutive "cold start" cylinder wash-down/flooding events aren't good for an engine. With injection, the extra cold start enrichment programming dumps a lot more fuel into the cylinders. Fuel that in this case, doesn't get burned. Repeat that event and you have a flooded engine.

Not if you hold it on the floor while cranking, activates the dechoke mode and shuts down the injectors... I dunno if mfgrs other than Ford have this feature or not...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've experienced this on both the Expedition and the BMW. I've told my wife never, EVER move the vehicle a few feet. If it gets started, it goes for a drive, PERIOD. Consecutive "cold start" cylinder wash-down/flooding events aren't good for an engine. With injection, the extra cold start enrichment programming dumps a lot more fuel into the cylinders. Fuel that in this case, doesn't get burned. Repeat that event and you have a flooded engine.

Not if you hold it on the floor while cranking, activates the dechoke mode and shuts down the injectors... I dunno if mfgrs other than Ford have this feature or not...

I know, I mentioned that on page 1
wink.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2848055#Post2848055

grin.gif

My 2000 Maxima used to do that but since I have not washed in years, I have not experienced the problem for a while :) It used to start but run bad for few seconds before settling.

Last edited:
Our 2009 Sonata i4 has done that since new - if started cold then shut off within a couple of minutes, it requires extended cranking to restart. Ambient temperatures don't have to be cold, it can happen in the summer. It would happen after driving across a parking lot to load a special need passenger at a facility door, for example.

Let's just wear out the starter because somebody could not program the fuel injection to account for a restart after cold shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back