Mann Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a couple Mann oil and engine filters a couple days ago . . . and to my surprise there were 2 that were made in Germany while 1 was made in Mexici. All of them were ordered directly from Amazon.

20121226_154556.jpg

20121226_154430.jpg

20121226_154330.jpg

Looking at them closely i see no difference at all between the mexican made ones and the german made ones. Everything is the same, the way they are glued together, the evo tops, fleece look, fleece smell evrrything looks almost identical. Theres only a small difference in the color of the oil filter metal free top and bottom.

Last edited:
I have Donaldson filters from 21 different countries. All are great. Just different sizes and uses.

The only thing i really find odd is that BMW used a really big oil filter for the M54 engine while the newer N52 NA / N54 Twin turbo / N55 Twin Scroll turbo uses a MUCH smaller oil filter.

Ive also gotten Manns from the Czech Republic, and lately their american/japanese line has been USA made. I used a Mann insert on a RAV 4 today and it was much stronger than the Napa gold I used last time.

I don't think the technology needed to manufacture an oil filter is that advanced so it'd would make a difference between a Mexican and German made same filter.

I'd love to use one in my application though
smile.gif

Noobie, I think theres more pleats in the smaller one for the N5x motors, its an Mann 816x, I can count if we have some time tomorrow.

All cartridge oil filters for my E30, only one made in USA, are made in Germany.

Even if quality is similar, I rather NOT buy one made in China.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
All cartridge oil filters for my E30, only one made in USA, are made in Germany.

Even if quality is similar, I rather NOT buy one made in China.

That is so true, even me as an asian would not trust an oil filter made there . . . Too many scams/fakes and i love my cars too much.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yup. 925/4 is made in Mexico. Been using these in my 530i for years. Never a single problem.

OK, I lied. I just re-checked and the last batch that I ordered from Amazon actually says "Germany" on them.
smile.gif

Still, it looks no different than the earlier "Made in Mexico" ones.

I would think that a company with the excellent reputation that MANN has would be sure that a production line produced filters to their specification regardless of the location. Honestly, I would have the same confidence in a Chinese MANN as in a Mexican one, or an American one.

I would NOT have the same confidence in a Chinese-made private-label filter that is made to a price point rather than a quality point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back