Auto RX Rinse and additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dearest Bitogers

I am just beginning my second AutoRX "rinse" cycle using 10w40 Castrol GTX Dino oil. On both ARX "clean" cycles and the one previous rinse, the oil remained new looking until about 500 miles in, then rapidly got very black.

The car consumes oil, and I believe the P.O. may have contributed to sludging by delaying the OCI in favor of just topping up, and then using too thin an oil. Not that 5w30 Pennzoil year round is a bad oil, just that it may be a little thin for the particular German engine. From what I have seen of UOAs posted I imagine the TBN of that oil in long use would be way low.

I saved the oil filter and when I figure out how to open it without causing an enormous mess, I will look for sludginess. Any tips?

My basic question is given the expectation that there is still cleaning to do, is there an advantage to adding Lube Control to the dino rinse oil? Any disadvantage? I have been running FP for about 3 months and am itching to use my LC.

Also, is there any advantage to adding Seafoam or MMO to the oil a hundred clicks or so before the next oil change?

Basically wondering if adding something with a little more solvency during the ARX rinse cycle would be helpful, harmful or neutral.

Frank

Thanks. I ran the second clean cycle a little long (about 1800 miles) and the oil was very dirty. The oil from the first clean cycle was black as tar at 1500 miles and this looked filthy too. There is definitely junk being removed from my engine in very short OCIs, so I believe I am seeing AutoRX working.

I am only about 100 miles into Rinse 2 (with Castrol Dino). Do you think it is a good idea to immediately run a 3rd cycle? I have enough ARX left to either run another cycle or 3 maintenance doses. My initial plan was to do 2 ARX cycles (per your website instuctions for sludge/oil burning), then run LubeControl as my maintenance and then an annual single full Auto RX clean cycle.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
Please finish your Auto-Rx application per the instructions found on www.auto-rx.com. If you add any other type chemistry into your oil during application. Auto-Rx will expend it's cleaning efficency on removing it.

Hello I would just finish the application and add 2 ounces of Auto-Rx and do this every at oil change. You can extend your oil change mileage at least 25% without a problem.

[ February 26, 2005, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Frank ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back