Safe Frequency for Gumout Regane FSC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the price gap between Arco and top-tier stations has grown significantly in my area, I have begun to use Arco fuel regularly instead of top-tier. In order to combat the deposit issue, I have also begun using a full bottle of Gumout Regane 2x every 3,000 miles on my Prius. The Prius's tank is 12 gallons, and the bottle states that it treats up to 20 gal, so the dosage is probably on the strong side.

Gumout recommends using their product every 3,000 miles, which I'm sure is safe but may not be truly needed. However, can one foresee any issues with oil contamination? I use 0w-20 synthetic and change at 10k intervals per Toyota.

Thanks.

As a frequent user of Chevron gas (wifey's camry), I typically use FIC once every year, or approx. 24k, just to go on a road trip and before an oil change.

Otherwise, I don't see anything more frequent than that.

Q.

I think you're getting worried about nothing.
Use any fuel from any station and run a fuel system cleaner containing PEA once a year or so, before an oil change, and you'll have no problems.
Skip the fuel system cleaner, and I doubt you'd have problems either.

Since I picked up a numerous amount of Regane bottles cheap at Big Lots, I do maintenance doses ala Redline SI-1.

Usually pour in 1/4 bottle with every fillup (15 gallons).

I'd only do this if you shorten your OCI.

If there are any deposits or acids left in the oil from the Regane you don't want engine components bathing in it for too long.

Most people do a Red Line or Gumout treatment a few tanks of gas prior to an oil change for this reason.

There are no conclusive UOAs that would support my point I just wanted to mention this based on standard practice.

I do a Red Line FSC every 2nd oil change using half a bottle for two gas tanks to use one full bottle FSC then have one gas tank or two no treatment then I dump my old oil.

Then you have fresh clean oil and a treated engine.

I usually do a PEA fuel treatment (Regane, Techron etc...) before an oil change approx. every 5K.
Since you are going 10K I'd do one in the middle and one near the end of the OCI....I agree that any more than that would be overkill....

Originally Posted By: Donald
While I doubt it would harm using the frequency on the container, I would use it once every 6K miles.

Or buy top tier gas and do not worry.

Using top tier gas does not mean injectors stay clean. I have always used top tier gas and still run a bottle of Techron once a year. I put between 37,000 and 47,000 miles a year on my Jeep, but not anymore as I have moved from sales to full time student. However,I would still suggest running a bottle once a year. As for the OP question, I would run half a bottle if its thats concentrated.

I've used fuel system cleaners a few hundred miles before an oil change when I remember, which comes out to once or twice a year.

How about maintenance doses with Redline SI-1?

Last edited:
I use fuel system cleaner, mostly Techron, once every other year before smog test.

Arco price may be cheaper than other stations by about 5-15 cents a gallon, but they only accept cash or debit card. I have credit card that gives 5% cash back so that the final cost is lower than Arco price.

Good point on the cash back credit cards.

Also, if you can grab Airmiles or some other bonus that can get free touchless car washes that is nice in the Winter.

I'd love to be a trucker that fills with a company credit card and can load up on points rewards for my personal use!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I use fuel system cleaner, mostly Techron, once every other year before smog test.

Arco price may be cheaper than other stations by about 5-15 cents a gallon, but they only accept cash or debit card. I have credit card that gives 5% cash back so that the final cost is lower than Arco price.

Which cc gives 5% on gas?

If you overdose on Gumout Regane FSC, what will happen? Choose one

1) Your fuel system will melt and all the plastic/rubber parts would be disintegrated
2) You wallet would be thinner

It is safe to assume (1) to be false and (2) to be true. Have you looked at the bottle itself? Do you think it will spontaneously melt if you keep it in storage for a year?

You really worry about unnecessary things ~/~

It is preferable. However it is also preferable and more important to have it in the tank as long as possible and use it during short trips.

So that dictates my timing when I use it yearly. The holiday season works out well for that and my oil changes are going to be March this time as well.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Does everyone pretty much subscribe to the *right before a OCI* contaminated oil theory...

Nope. Not me.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: chefwong
Does everyone pretty much subscribe to the *right before a OCI* contaminated oil theory...

Nope. Not me.

Me neither however if it in some way does make it into the crankcase I wonder if it would help clean internals. That would be a win/win in my book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back