What makes Diesel fuel foam up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped to get fuel today. Cheapest place in towm $3.89. Swiped my card amd stuck the nozzle in my tank. The pump almost imediatly shut off and when it did it burped foam out.

So I tried it again but slower. Still burped foam out. Tried different angles and speed but I just ended up with foam spitting out my filler and stinking up my shoes.

Gave up and went down the street to the 76 station. I had to pay $4.19 a gallon but it went in just fine no foam at all.

Anybody know What caused this?

It just does...there was a period locally of about 10 months where it didn't but last 20 years, diesel always foams.

Re ^

A farmer mate has a service station at the end of his driveway, and rang me one day to report that they had "dodgy" diesel, as he'd filled his tractor directly and it didn't "foam" like in a jerry can or when filling his ute through the filler.

I filled a yellow plastic jerry can (investing in diesel futures whenever I get 15c/l off), and could clearly see about 10% "layer" of foam that took 15 seconds or so to disperse, but was thick enough to trip the auto shut-off.

Maybe on a flat tank like a semi or the tractor, the surface are gives enough settling tht it's less apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back