Siping Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once took 2 sets of Goodyear Integrity with half tread remaining and siped them instead of purchasing winter tires. Now prior to Siping them, the car struggle to move forward on snow. Once siped, I was running in my dad's cornfields with 8 inches of snow without a hitch. Has anyone tried siping, it seems to make a great improvement. My tires wore very even and I kept them for 47 thousand and the tire was rated for 50,000 miles.

I wouldn't sipe a new set of tires simply because it would increase wear and you already have a deep groove. If it was winter time and my tires were worn I would consider it. All in all siping will cause increased wear, but will grip better in snow.

I've never siped street tires but have siped off-road tires. It definitely improved their performance, especially during rockcrawling but also on icy roads, but they chunked like mad (done on four different types and brands). I have spoken with engineers at several tire companies about it and when you could get them in a candid mood (not relaying just the party line, which is negative of course), the answer I got is that it depends on the tire and how that tire is siped. That makes sense. It's like anything else, one size doesn't fit all. If you know what you are doing, and do it the the right tire, you can make it work. If you don't, it's a game of chance.

Last edited:
for non-critical (life/death) related works and slow speed use, I cannot see why not (siping).

For activities that would require high speed and involves life/death situations potentially, I wouldn't do a hobo-way of siping any 1/2 worn factory tires (just buy fresh new tires anyways). Personally I don't believe it persons siping tires for me (instead of precision cast/factory moulded sipes and fresh rubber).

Q.

Originally Posted By: Topo
Once siped, I was running in my dad's cornfields with 8 inches of snow without a hitch.

Yeah right.
thumbsup2.gif

Siping is the best way to get more traction from your tires.We do it all the time on are dirt track tires.Speedway has electric sipes!If you look at the modern snow/ice tire they are highly siped!

Originally Posted By: Quest
for non-critical (life/death) related works and slow speed use, I cannot see why not (siping).

For activities that would require high speed and involves life/death situations potentially, I wouldn't do a hobo-way of siping any 1/2 worn factory tires (just buy fresh new tires anyways). Personally I don't believe it persons siping tires for me (instead of precision cast/factory moulded sipes and fresh rubber).

Q.

I don't think tires aren't really "precision" machinery, despite what their marketing will have you believe. Rally tires are often custom siped by hand to try to match the conditions for that stage for the next hour or two, as some guy with some experience can have his siped tires out performing the "ideal" tread developed by the factory, as they can only be ideal for a small range of conditions...
I siped a set of snowtires for my car a few years ago to get another winter of decent traction out of them and it worked well. I sort of followed the initial siping that had worn away and had no chunking or problems, just better traction in snow. The new tires I got for the next year were better but not shockingly so, and now they are losing some of their initial siping so next year I'll probably cut them up for the last winter with them.

As I said in the other thread, if you're trying to gain back traction that got lost because the tire is worn, then siping is a good way to do that.

If you're hoping to get the ultimate in snow traction, you ought to be buying a tire specifically designed to do that.

There are negatives to doing siping - wear, and chunking.

Plus, you lose the warranty.

Tread depth is the most important factor in snow performance of a tire. The OP's claim of achieving near new tire performance off-road in snow from manually siping a run out set of street tires is patently ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Topo said:
Once siped, I was running in my dad's cornfields with 8 inches of snow without a hitch.

Yeah right.
thumbsup2.gif

[/quote

I will reply nearly a year later..Yah Right! Don't take me as a liar, because you are probably one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Rally tires are often custom siped by hand to try to match the conditions for that stage for the next hour or two, as some guy with some experience can have his siped tires out performing the "ideal" tread developed by the factory, as they can only be ideal for a small range of conditions...

^^^This happened A LOT for the Monte Carlo round of the WRC.
The teams would actually send out "ice crews" to purvey the stages a few hours before the first car off to check for ice/packed snow conditions (especially on the corners where some of the spectators would dump the snow from their vantage points onto the road to make things more 'interesting').

The tire techs would then 'cut' the slicks/intermediate tarmac tires to match those observations, as you've stated.

The STRANGEST thing I've ever seen was intermediate tarmac tires with a sparse STUD pattern installed into them for just this above reason, on this particular rally.

mechtech2 said:
I don't think siping [aftermarket] is for snow, but for rain.[/quote

I agree, it's better for rain and ice. But helps some on snow, but nothing as good as snow tires/winter tires for the snow.

Originally Posted By: Topo
I once took 2 sets of Goodyear Integrity with half tread remaining and siped them instead of purchasing winter tires. Now prior to Siping them, the car struggle to move forward on snow. Once siped, I was running in my dad's cornfields with 8 inches of snow without a hitch. Has anyone tried siping, it seems to make a great improvement. My tires wore very even and I kept them for 47 thousand and the tire was rated for 50,000 miles.

Just for clarification... 8 inches of snow through cornfields with...by looking at your signature file...the 300 or the Intrepid?

so cut the guy abitof slack.
he probably exaggerated abit.
You get the
generalidea of what he was talking aboutNot like he post was troll-like that seems to be 50% of bitog'snew posts nowadays.

-posted from chevyboi's phone please excuse any blobs of text, trolling, extreme emotional content. Blabbering about Real life that shouldnt be on the internet or questions posted that I always know the answer to and dont listen to anyone about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back