Another techron success story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I poured a bottle of techron in the Taurus due to the O2sensor code. With only 95k, thought it might be a little early for an O2 sensor so I poured the bottle in. 200 miles later, the engine light is off!

Originally Posted By: volk06
I poured a bottle of techron in the Taurus due to the O2sensor code. With only 95k, thought it might be a little early for an O2 sensor so I poured the bottle in. 200 miles later, the engine light is off!

It is claimed by some that the PEA once atomized after being burned in the fuel system survives and will get into the exhaust stream where the residual PEA will decarbon O2 sensors and even catalytic converters to some degree. I'm not saying this is fact, but I do remember seeing a mention of this somewhere.

Well, dont celebrate too soon.

I had a car that had a bad cat converter, CEL was on "catalyst performance". Every time I put in an additive, the CEL would too go off but come back on a week later.

I put in PEA cleaner over a year ago when there was no CEL.

But there was poor fuel economy and severe shaking and noise at 80mph without the ability to exceed that speed.

It was all put right after 2 treatments. The problem has not returned since and definitely no CEL!

Another thing that may have happened besides a possible O2 cleaning is that one ore more injectors were cleaned up to match the others. Now all cyls are closer in mixture.
A rich or lean one affects the net O2 reading

I used Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner once and got misfires after... It may have lifted enough carbon to short a plug electrode or fouled them or something.

Usually when I used it I did notice the car ran smoother with it.

I was using Esso fuel which is pretty dirty and loaded with sulfur up here in Montreal, since then I ended my Shell boycott and believe Shell may be a cleaner fuel with better additives than the Esso stuff I was using.

This Spring before I change my oil I plan on using the last half bottle of Red Line cleaner and see if the same problem comes up again. I usually use the cleaner a month before an oil change to avoid contaminating the new oil with acids or by-products that it may have left in the old oil.

Two years ago, I ran Lucas UCL in my 2000 Altima and got the P0420 code....low catalytic efficiency.

Stayed on for two years, with no more Lucas UCL in the tank during that time.

New engine went in last week, with a new CAT, CEL still on...ugh!!

Put 1.5 bottles of Gumout Regane HM in the 14 gallon tank two days ago, 75 miles later, no more check engine light!! PEA cleaned up the post CAT real good, real quick. First time in two years the light has been off.

Last edited:
So a fuel system cleaner,like regane,will help the catalytic converter? Wow. I would have thought that an additive would do the opposite,and coat the cat.
I've got 7 bottles of the high mileage regane in my door I've been wanting to use but my stock exhaust has over 250k on the cat and I was concerned about fouling it.
I'll throw caution to the wind then.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So a fuel system cleaner,like regane,will help the catalytic converter? Wow. I would have thought that an additive would do the opposite,and coat the cat.
I've got 7 bottles of the high mileage regane in my door I've been wanting to use but my stock exhaust has over 250k on the cat and I was concerned about fouling it.
I'll throw caution to the wind then.
Thanks

One of the benefits of PEA cleaners is that they do not leave residue behind. What I think the prior poster was talking about was the post-cat O2 sensor was fouled, which the Techron cleaned up.

Guessing the bottle of that Emission stuff has PEA. If it didn't, it probably wouldn't do much good for emission testing if it messed with the cat & sensors.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

One of the benefits of PEA cleaners is that they do not leave residue behind. What I think the prior poster was talking about was the post-cat O2 sensor was fouled, which the Techron cleaned up.

Exactly.

This is the "hallmark" of PEA detergent technology I believe it may be the ONLY traditional style gasoline detergent that can claim this.

Strange to me why Chevron doesn't ever make this a marketing tool. It sold me. But I had to research it to find this fact out.

Yeah......thats exactly what I meant....that the PEA cleaned off the oxygen sensor, because a new CAT didn't solve the "low catalytic efficiency" code. The CAT its working fine. The post CAT oxygen sensor wasn't.....until the PEA cleaned it up!!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Yeah......thats exactly what I meant....that the PEA cleaned off the oxygen sensor, because a new CAT didn't solve the "low catalytic efficiency" code. The CAT its working fine. The post CAT oxygen sensor wasn't.....until the PEA cleaned it up!!

I hope the new cat was really necessary. It would suck to find out that you replaced it for a few hundred dollars when a couple bucks of Techron was all that was needed.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: Phishin

I hope the new cat was really necessary. It would suck to find out that you replaced it for a few hundred dollars when a couple bucks of Techron was all that was needed.

No.....my new engine, which has less than 10k miles, came with the same low milage CAT. The olds one is in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back