what is the value of a quart of used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you Google it you will find some info and companies willing to buy it. I saw $0.40/gallon as a price in some info.

I bring it to the garage who does work for me. Hoping some day he will give me a discount.

Last edited:
.40 is fair, when oil was higher we got 50cents a gallon. For a while it was free to take away, and a few years ago it COST 25cents a gallon to remove.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
or, using our advance auto parts as an example - they are nice enough to collect used oil- what does a recycler pay them for a 200 gallon tank of oil?

Obviously most of us not in the business just drop it off somewhere local as its not worth time & gas to bring it someplace that pays.

Maybe the best answer is to bring it to a place run by the town/county. At least the town would keep the money rather than AAP. Maybe you taxes would go down by a few pennies.

I've heard as much as $2 a gallon is paid for used oil. I don't remember where i heard / read that though.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
It's worth ~ $4 when the gallons of used oil displaces a gallon of diesel in my car's tank.

No just kidding.

lol.gif

Wow i'm a little shocked at this, i always thought they paid a fee to get rid of the oil. Least thats what my parts manager would tell me, when i was a oil change guy. I always filled those 55 gal drums.

Seems they wanted the 55 gal drum of oil filters more then they wanted oil.

Burning oil in your car's fuel tank, when it's filled with metal particulates, would be unwise.
Quote:
Seems they wanted the 55 gal drum of oil filters more then they wanted oil.
Where do all those used oil filters go? I imagine that creates a real disposal problem. You can't just too them into a landfill.

Last edited:
We have a 8000 gallon tank for waste oil in the yard. When it gets about half full a truck comes in and hauls it away at no cost to the company. Same with the used filters. 55 gallon drums full of filters then a company comes in and picks them up every few weeks.

When I worked for a CAT dealer they would attach a 15.00 fee/tax to each invoice called an environmental disposal fee/tax. All the oils and used filters were hauled off at no cost.

From what little I know the filters can be ground down to other products or they can be made in heated to scrap steel.

hahaha omg here in Sydney Australia we pay to be able to dump it, at waste management centres. And every car service on reciepts says $8 fee for enviroment. Very Very hard to find a place to dump for free, but then again it is the most expensive city. Costs $1300 to have a 6 cylinder car on the road every year, not including insurance, maintenance costs, fuel etc, just to be able to register.

I just dump mine somewhere, [removed] that i would never pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: kalloggs40
I just dump mine somewhere, fck that i would never pay.

I'm disappointed to hear that.

My local council recycling station takes used oil for free.

They recycle it for heating oil, or they use to. I remember my nan got a delivery of heating oil to her house every winter. I don't know anyone that does that now.

I too am disappointed. But that's what you get when they provide disincentive to properly dispose the oil. You're "rewarded" with a fee for doing the right thing! What were they thinking?

At most oil change places I worked, there would be a $3 or so cost for oil disposal but I also believe that it does not cost anywhere near $3 for that service.

It seems like another way they can tell you an oil change costs $19.99 and then when you get to the oil change center, it isn't actually $19.99.

How about a device in your car that meters out the entire oil change on the road over the course of the next oil change so its evenly deposited across your path of travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back