Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mike,

The comment below is from the following thread:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post792247
Gene K said:
"Yes, Terry [Dyson] likes a simple Fram Air Filter Element as the Filtechs extra restriction can "trick" the ECM into running to rich."

There are many comments about Terry preferring simple paper air filters in cars with fuel dilution especially Honda V6s. You have a four cylinder and it seems there was fuel dilution on three of your analyses, sometimes this is because of driving in stop and go conditions. You might want to try a paper filter. The fuel dilution did not hurt your wear numbers, but you don't want to extend your oci with fuel dilution issues.

Dennis

Hey dennis,

I am coming up on an Air filter change. Based solely on the fuel dilution issue, do you think I should try a Fram air filter for an 06 V6 and not an I4? Right now, I got replacement #1 honda OEM air filter in there and that's all I have had for the life of this car so far. What do you think?! Anyone? I am pretty sure an aftermarket air filter is going to work better for the air filter but the same cannot be said, obviously, for the cabin filter or even oil filter.

You do not need to try a different filter based solely upon a fuel dilution issue on someone else's vehicle. IF your has a fuel dilution issue, then, sure, try a different filter. I have no idea why you state "I am pretty sure an aftermarket air filter is going to work better for the air filter but the same cannot be said, obviously, for the cabin filter or even oil filter". Regarding performance, in the same sentence, you use "pretty sure" and "obviously", which means you are neither pretty sure, nor is your conclusion obvious. Still, you're doing much better...stick around and keep learning.

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mike,

Gene K said:
"Yes, Terry [Dyson] likes a simple Fram Air Filter Element as the Filtechs extra restriction can "trick" the ECM into running to rich."

There are many comments about Terry preferring simple paper air filters in cars with fuel dilution especially Honda V6s. You have a four cylinder and it seems there was fuel dilution on three of your analyses, sometimes this is because of driving in stop and go conditions. You might want to try a paper filter. The fuel dilution did not hurt your wear numbers, but you don't want to extend your oci with fuel dilution issues.

Dennis

Hey dennis,

I am coming up on an Air filter change. Based solely on the fuel dilution issue, do you think I should try a Fram air filter for an 06 V6 and not an I4? Right now, I got replacement #1 honda OEM air filter in there and that's all I have had for the life of this car so far. What do you think?! Anyone? I am pretty sure an aftermarket air filter is going to work better for the air filter but the same cannot be said, obviously, for the cabin filter or even oil filter.

What percentage of dilution does your UOA reflect?

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mike,

Gene K said:

Dennis

Hey dennis,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. From what I have read here, some of the Honda v6's tend to run a little rich with the oem air filter. Terry Dyson has recommended that on those Hondas that have a fuel dilution problem, that the Fram paper air filters are a simple fix. As others have pointed out, if you do not have a fuel dilution issue, there is no reason to change anything. If it were me and I had no data, I would get a UOA and then decide. You may not want to get an analysis, in that case I don't think the Fram air filter will hurt anything.

Dennis

Just a note. I sold my 2003 Accord oct 2012 with over 140k miles. I continued to use PP 5W20 around 8k miles and never had engine problems. I stopped doing UOAs with this thread but will do UOAs on my new 2013 Accord.

Thanks for keeping us updated. The UOA from the new DI k24 will be highly anticipated here, and so will a review of the new 2013 Accord
wink.gif
. I own an '04 and pm'd you a few questions.

By the way the 2013 Accord MM is going, I expect I will change the oil sometime in the spring. It just turned 70% oil life with about 1950 miles and 2.5 months on it.

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft
By the way the 2013 Accord MM is going, I expect I will change the oil sometime in the spring. It just turned 70% oil life with about 1950 miles and 2.5 months on it.

Mikey, interesting that your has gone to 70% and mine, at 2000 mi, only went to 90%. Difference in driving style I guess. I don't do any real short trips, usually 30-40 mi at a time. Are you planning on using 0W-20 or 5W-20 (which seems easier to find)?

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: MikeySoft

Mikey, interesting that your has gone to 70% and mine, at 2000 mi, only went to 90%. Difference in driving style I guess. I don't do any real short trips, usually 30-40 mi at a time. Are you planning on using 0W-20 or 5W-20 (which seems easier to find)?

i do several short cold starts a day doing the week. I also do two 25 miles highway a week. This should change to more reasonable driving in a few months.

I aleady checked, the second nearest wallmart has 0w20 pennzoil platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back