Liqui-Moly 5W-40: Top Tec 4100 vs Synthoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds really good for price actually,

these are some of the most hardcore oils on market ( Liqui-moly ) specially formulated for German cars who ride the autobahn daily.

Skyship raves about these products.

And if they are held in high regard in the picky, quality focused German market then they must be good stuff.

Top Tec 4100 5 W-40 API SN seems to be better than Synthoil High Tech SAE 5W-40 (HTHS ???)
wink.gif

IMO Top Tec has a higher HTHS because it's 505.01 approved for Pump-Dose TDI but it's not the highest HTHS I've ever seen.
frown.gif

Mobil 1 or any other of your local brand you can find will exceeds the top tec liqui moly specs for better price.
cool.gif

Last edited:
I've toggled back and forth between the US and UK sites. The products appear to be different between the two continents.

Caveat emptor.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...voiladb=web.nsf

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...voiladb=web.nsf

The local NAPA has both of these available for $34/5L container - which is inexpensive in comparison to Mobil 1 0w40.

How do these two compare? The Top Tec 4100 sounds like it is a new formulation judging by the specifications it meets.

Thanks.

Synthoil High Tech is a full synthetic Group IV/V oil. Top Tech 4100 is a synthetic blend. In Europe, by law, a full synthetic oil be Group IV or V base stocks. In the US, Group III/III+ base stocks can be labeled full synthetic. There are millions of cars running LM outside North America. If it meets your car's specifications and the price is right I would not hesitate to use LM.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Synthoil High Tech is a full synthetic Group IV/V oil. Top Tech 4100 is a synthetic blend. In Europe, by law, a full synthetic oil be Group IV or V base stocks. In the US, Group III/III+ base stocks can be labeled full synthetic. There are millions of cars running LM outside North America. If it meets your car's specifications and the price is right I would not hesitate to use LM.

+1 only synthoil is considered full synthetic

Originally Posted By: bigjl

And if they are held in high regard in the picky, quality focused German market then they must be good stuff.
I asked about this oil not to long ago and nobody on here had much to say about it. One guy told me to stick with Motul

Running TopTech right now in MB. 5700 miles left on FSS, actual miles are close to 7k on it. Will do UOA close to 0 or when it will be 1 year in the sump(June 30th,which will prob happen faster).
Will prob use Maxlife, since running huge sump of synthetics for 5-6k miles seems waste to me( Car is not driven that much anymore), I want to follow 1 year oci.

I've got 4 jugs in my basement of the 0w-40 and 10w-40. I read the bottles and they are made in Germany so I wanted to try them in my mustang.
There was a thread the other day that claimed liqui-moly waters down their oil for the NA market according their paperwork. I'm not inclined to believe that however it is possible.
I like the company and the products they produce however skyship raves about them which make me want to puke and not trust the company

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I've got 4 jugs in my basement of the 0w-40 and 10w-40. I read the bottles and they are made in Germany so I wanted to try them in my mustang.
There was a thread the other day that claimed liqui-moly waters down their oil for the NA market according their paperwork. I'm not inclined to believe that however it is possible.
I like the company and the products they produce however skyship raves about them which make me want to puke and not trust the company

Hope I dont get on Clevy's bad side. LOL

The Top Tec series is low SAPS, so I would be cautious depending on the quality of the gas you're using.

I've been using Synthoil High Tech for quite some time. It's an excellent oil, use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Did the person that suggested this buy some and do a VOA?

There may be differences between a the products for NA and Europe but I can't see a y company "watering down" oil for NA.

As an example everybody is talking about the new SN Mobil 1 for NA, the New Life I bought 4 months ago was still SM.

Will be in Costco hopefully tomorrow so will have a look on the shelf to check if it is still SM or if it is now SN like NA.

Neither of those Lubro-Moly oils are worth the price premium. Mediocre UOAs/VOAs. Good to see they have a modern API SN formula now though, as most were SL for a long time.

Only one of theirs that's even remotely interesting to me is the Synthoil Energy 0w40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Neither of those Lubro-Moly oils are worth the price premium. Mediocre UOAs/VOAs. Good to see they have a modern API SN formula now though, as most were SL for a long time.

Only one of theirs that's even remotely interesting to me is the Synthoil Energy 0w40.

I've got 3 jugs of the 0w-40 in my basement. I was holding out to use it in my mustang this summer,but I'm going to thin it down a bit with the liqui-moly 5w-20 I acquired,since I've now learned that with my driving habits,oil cooler and application it is too thick.

Originally Posted By: frenchboy
Top Tec 4100 5 W-40 API SN seems to be better than Synthoil High Tech SAE 5W-40 (HTHS ???)
wink.gif

IMO Top Tec has a higher HTHS because it's 505.01 approved for Pump-Dose TDI but it's not the highest HTHS I've ever seen.
frown.gif

Mobil 1 or any other of your local brand you can find will exceeds the top tec liqui moly specs for better price.
cool.gif

Top Tec was designed for LPG/CNG cars although it is a good oil. Synthoil High Tech 5/40 is their best 5/40 and a true group 4 synthetic, designed for top of the range turbo diesels or Porsch engines. I've posted two sets of UOA results in the diesel UOA section.
LM are on a par with Castrol, Mobil and Shell but normally less expensive.

I would guess they sell the Synthoil Premium, since in my personal experience my local NAPA switched over to the Premium a couple of years ago due to them not being able to import the High Tech anymore. I quit buying it at that point.

If they do still have the High Tech, I would go back. Notice that the High Tech meets the Porsche A40 and the Premium does not. I think that says quite a bit about how good it is.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I would guess they sell the Synthoil Premium, since in my personal experience my local NAPA switched over to the Premium a couple of years ago due to them not being able to import the High Tech anymore. I quit buying it at that point.

If they do still have the High Tech, I would go back. Notice that the High Tech meets the Porsche A40 and the Premium does not. I think that says quite a bit about how good it is.

The High Tech is better, but I am looking for a true diesel oil at present and it's very irritating that they don't sell their Diesel Synthoil in Germany as it's pricey to import. That's why I'm thinking of going back to a part synthetic diesel oil at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back