The fat lady has sung (aka, the ARX test is over)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The final update to my ARX test is here.

*note* The car was painted a different color after the last update. It is the same car.

Here is a copy and paste of the final update from my site:

2/19/05:-129,136: This update had to be delayed a week due to bad weather. It was too cloudy to take pics last weekend.

As I mentioned during the last update (2/7/05) the oil was very dark after this rinse period. This is important to note because I have noticed that many people seem to be frustrated when they add ARX to their engine and 1500 miles later the oil still looks clean. My personal results indicate that the first cleaning phase and rinse phase won't produce oil that appears to be dirty. It wasn't until the second cleaning phase that the oil could be considered "dark" and after this rinse phase it was downright black.

The compression readings have made me very happy. I will point out here that you should in no way expect ARX or any other product to produce similar results unless you suspect the low compression is caused by a stuck ring pack or maybe even sticking valves. The former was exactly what I thought at the beginning of this test and it was the reason I wanted to try ARX.

After over 7000 miles of cleaning I can say with certainty that this engine idles smoother and quieter and that it does indeed have more power than before. By "quieter" I mean that most of the ticking and clicking noises that this engine used to make are now gone. To put it simply, I'm happy.

The only negative thing I can say is that ARX seems to have cleaned some sludge from around the valve seals and they have yet to reseal themselves. The result is a very slight amount of oil burning when you first start the car in the morning or after being parked for several hours. In my opinion the benefits very much outweigh this issue but I felt it was important enough to note.

I never really measured how much oil my engine was consuming but I would estimate that it currently uses about 1 quart in 1400-1700 miles. This is well within normal limits for this engine. Even more so when you consider the mileage.

Fuel consumption was also not measured before the test but I would guess that there has neither been an increase or decrease.

There will be plenty of you that think that this was just an advertisement for ARX and that the test just might be fake. The fact is that Frank (the ARX inventor) hasn't spoken to me since the test started and we were on such poor terms that he wouldn't even sell ARX to me. I had to purchase it from a private individual on the BITOG forums. We are not friends and we are not business partners. What you see with this test is as honest as it gets.

Here are the latest engine specs:

READINGS AT 129,136 MILES (~7000 miles w/Auto-Rx)

Compression:
Cylinder 1-170psi +53psi
Cylinder 2-168psi +48psi
Cylinder 3-158psi +41psi
Cylinder 4-173psi +54psi

Idle Oil Pressure:
18psi@700rpm@180degrees fahrenheit (coolant temp)

Ambient Temp:
~70 degrees

Hot Idle RPM (A/C off):
730rpm

Here is one of the better comparison pics:
 -

And last of all. Links to the test site and image gallary.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

WOW! Holy Mother Of God! and people thought you were going to rigg the test ! I think about 10 people on this board ( inluding FRANK) owe youa giant apology great job with the pictures and the site ..was just thinking about the test the other day./

Holy smokes! I cant even believe the comparison pic is from the same engine!! Awesome results..

I think we have a problem occuring lately though... Aaron mentioned blue smoke on startup, the same my friend got on his accord during the clean cycle... seems to be happening often

aaron, let us know if it goes away!

quote:

Originally posted by Aaron:

The only negative thing I can say is that ARX seems to have cleaned some sludge from around the valve seals and they have yet to reseal themselves. The result is a very slight amount of oil burning when you first start the car in the morning or after being parked for several hours. In my opinion the benefits very much outweigh this issue but I felt it was important enough to note.

I never really measured how much oil my engine was consuming but I would estimate that it currently uses about 1 quart in 1400-1700 miles. This is well within normal limits for this engine. Even more so when you consider the mileage.

hopefully, after your valve seals reseal, your 1 qt/ 1400-1700 mile consumption will go down. the after pic is amazing!

I think this is proof positive that one automotive product (Auto-RX) really works. I became convinced myself after I did an Auto-RX cleaning and my seal leak stopped. When I changed oil today I used Mobil 1 5W-30 EP oil with a maintenance dose of Auto-RX. I will have to order more Auto-RX soon. I am down to a few oz. in my last bottle.

IMHO - YOU were treated very poorly by Frank and crew. They should have just shut up and let their product do the talking, which it clearly did.

AS for valve sten seals....time will tell. Sometimes they are just too warn to reseal, no fault of AutoRX. I have however seen leakage slow greatly, to almost nil using certain oils.

Hey Aaron, I take it there's more to this story posted elsewhere on this site? Have the links handy?

I'm dyin' to know how your car got that bad.
freak2.gif

Sounds like it's time to switch to one of the 'high-mileage' oils.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by OdinsRageSS:
I think we have a problem occuring lately though... Aaron mentioned blue smoke on startup, the same my friend got on his accord during the clean cycle... seems to be happening often

aaron, let us know if it goes away!

I'll be sure to post here if the seal problem goes away.

I wanted to say that when this test started I threatened Frank by telling him I would do everything I could to tell everyone his product was a fraud if it failed. (The wording was a bit different, I wasn't very nice about it)

I also told him he was welcome to use my site in it's entirety if it worked. To that end I will keep my test up on RMS13.com until 1-1-06 and either Frank or a web developer of his choosing (Larry?) can contact me for a complete download of all photos and html pages related to this test. Frank has my explicit permission to use any of the material related to my test.

If I recall everything correctly, Aaron's engine was in rough shape when he got the car. I'm sure the old threads could be dug up, or Aaron himself could answer that.

The differece in the compression readings, and the before and after pictures is absolutely amazing. I have no doubt in my mind that AutoRX will do an excellent job cleaning the inside of an engine.

As another question for Aaron, have you thought at all about doing a 3rd treatment? Given the poor initial state of the engine plus the remeining differences in compression readings it seems like it might be reasonable. I have no idea if it would actually help or not, and at this point any additional gains would probably be small relative to what has already been done.

Thank you Aaron for doing such a meticulous job of documenting your test, I've been waiting for years (well ... Ok, 18 months) to see how things turned out with your vehicle. The result seem as good as anybody could have hoped for.

quote:

Originally posted by bdleonard:
As another question for Aaron, have you thought at all about doing a 3rd treatment? Given the poor initial state of the engine plus the remeining differences in compression readings it seems like it might be reasonable. I have no idea if it would actually help or not, and at this point any additional gains would probably be small relative to what has already been done.

Thats a good question. As for the answer, that depends on whether Frank is willing to sell ARX to me.

Those results are amazing!
I remember how much of a skeptic you were (as well as I). the compression numbers IMO are the proof of the test, cleanliness is secondary.
Thanks for the update.

Those before and after pics are amazing! I'm less than 200 miles into my first RX cleaning phase and my oil is already looking "chocolatey"......and I started with new oil and filter. Whatever is happening is happening in a hurry.

What a difference! Good job with the test Aaron! I agree Frank and others owe you and I an apology since they thought we were out to lynch them. The stuff works!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back