My new project

Status
Not open for further replies.
The objective is:

1) learn
2) rebuild & make money
3) use to replace my transmission that went south

How old are you?

Do you have money for parts and a manual, tools, clean work space. Cannot do a rebuild on a kitchen table.

A college friend of mine in the 1970s degreased a MG engine in the bathtub. His mom was not pleased.

If you like projects, come on down.
First_picture_in_yard.jpg

Neat. Though newer and less obscure. Whose was the other one, yours but just stored there? If so, can't you just make private arrangements with the landlord?

i was going to do the work in the barn at my dads he is a care taker. i could but it isnt worth the fuss. last thing i want to do is cause problems for his landlord . since my dad is crazy and all.

I think you have to strategically locate a place to cut a big hole in the side where all the gears will show but nothing falls out. Then have a shifter in it. The shifter movement is a big part of the whole deal. Also, if you can put a winch crank on the input shaft to demonstrate the different gears turning on the shaft, it'll be a really big hit.

Also nice because this is a much more typical tranny for these days. You don't see three speeds much. I had one in my 1977 F100.

Input shaft should be in the middle of the bell housing. too bad the bell housing is intregal, it would be nice to remove it.

Shifter, as I recall (can google some photos) has a simple end going into the top of the tranny. A large screwdriver might work. I bet the tranny shop guys can work the gear changes with a big screwdriver or small crowbar maybe. Talk to an old timer at a tranny shop.

Yea could I remove the tail shaft and spin it that way? I would like to cut ahol in the side but if that cannot be done I can remove the top plate

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Yea could I remove the tail shaft and spin it that way? I would like to cut ahol in the side but if that cannot be done I can remove the top plate
I thought of the tail shaft. Suppose it will drive backward just as well. If you remove the top plate though, then you can't shift it very easily, at least not with a lever mounted in place.

How would one cut a hole in an aluminum case anyway. I think if you use the gas axe it will melt it. Or is there a special type of torch that might work. I really don't know jack about torches and cutting, but that I saw a guy try to cut aluminum plate (1/2 inch thick) with an oxy-acetylene torch and it melted and made quite a mess, oh he got through it it, but the edges were pretty ragged and wavy.

I had (maybe still do but can't find at the moment) a lawnmower engine with the side cover removed so I could show the kids how the crankshaft and piston work as well as the valves. That would be an easier project, if not too simple for your class.

A muffler cut-off tool should cut through aluminum right quick and your school probably has plenty of them. If not, you can usually find one for $30 or so retail. For this kind of cutting it might be worthwhile to temporarily remove the guard and use thick leather gloves and good safety goggles. If you want to have nice clean corners to your cuts, something like a Dewalt DW660K and some patience can be helpful.

That sort of tool also can be a lot of fun and qualifies as a toy so you can clean it up, put it back in the box, and give it to a small child as a present when you're done.

I'm looking at the cast-in stiffening bars in the case. Wonder if you could chisel one of the squares out to see what's inside. Conversely you could find a saturn transaxle where the differential pin has already windowed the casing for your pleasure.
wink.gif

But this is like cracking a safe, you don't know what square makes sense.

And who knows what spring loaded stuff will go irretrievably flying if you take the tail shaft section out.

First year in tech school, won't they mostly just want you to get it apart and name all the stuff? If you can put it together again and cure the 3rd gear whine that most of these boxes do you're set for life.
01.gif

For reference.....examples of teardown and training demo
Tear down (M5R2 is similar to Chevyboy14's image link)

Cutaway showing how the gears engage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back