Harley vs. Ducati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some may or may not recall a summer time topic I started about trying to decide between a Ducati and Suzuki. I have not moved on anything yet other than to drop the Suzuki FA1250 sport tourer from the choice and spend a long hot summer and short autumn working extra and continueing to re-adjust to life without my beloved bride of 24 yrs who passed in March. Most of that took the wind out of my sails but now I'm back to prepping for getting back in the saddle for the first time in about 12 years (since having owned a bike). Foreword and prelude done, now to the matter. I was bored a couple weeks ago and so stopped by the local Harley Davidson dealership to just look, since our prior bikes were an XL1200 Sportster for me and an 883 for her back in the day. I immediately took notice of the Dyna FLD Switchback due to its dual role for light touring and around town work. Stirred an old affection for HD's. And so, it weirded-up my decision making process since the two bikes, the FLD and the Duc Multistrada are divergent, and completely at opposite ends of the spectrum so to speak. I see the Multistrada as hi-tech (especially the 2013 w/ the Skyhook active suspenstion) and loaded with complexity yet a unique mounnt that will be a great ride and can be wicked quick when you want or need it (150hp/86 lb-ft @ 476 lbs wet). But I also see a lot of plastic and composites (hence the weight or lack of) and see it as more of a disposable bike as far as longevity goes with resale value dropping fairly quickly and a less liquid market as a pre-owned. I tried on (2012 model) at the nearest Duc dealer (100 miles) and found some comfort problems related to my size 13 feet on the pegs vs controls and a tendency for my pants to bind up around my crotch/junk. Also, my orangutan 38" sleeve arms would have enjoyed a little farther back seating position vs how the bars are. The Harley Davidson FLD Switchback, however, felt like it was designed for a long armed knuckle dragger like me. The ergonomics of the riding position felt perfect, right down to the forward position of the boards (instead of pegs). OMG does this mean I am getting old (50 in couple months)? I also see the Harley Davidson as more Murphy's Law friendly with no oil cooler, no radiator, and much less electronic wizardry. But it is heavy and it is not a rocket. And honestly, I like to be different and let's face it, these days riding a Harley tends to class you more of a lemming than a rebel blazing his own trail. But I guess that is a matter of interpretation. The FLD has the TC 103 motor, which is good, even though its still probably a little under powered for its weight (718lbs wet). Harley Davidson I also see as better resale and lasting forever (all metal bike hence the weight).
Only like the FLD in Silver because it tones down the chrome bling and I like monochromatic anyhow. Which means a 2012 because HD dropped Silver for 2013. Might be a problem finding a remaining 2012 with ABS which is the one technology I have to have as it can be a bacon saver. The FLD could probably use a second front disc but that could be added (I think). Braking seems to be adequate but not great. Then again probably no way to add a 2nd front disc with the factory ABS unless HD sells a specific upgrade kit for it.

Yes, its a decision only I can make, but writing it up is cathartic and helps me lay out the pros and cons.

The 2013 Duc is supposed to have a revised seat and I'm going back to try it on when one gets on the floor. I like the Duc and want to make it work, but my practical side sees the HD while slower and less nimble (by a long shot, again different classes and the FLD actually leads in the cruiser class) as being less likely to strand me due to an electronic gremlin or road sharf/debris perforating the radiator or oil cooler on the Duc, or coolant or oil hose damage etc.

Short version: I love both bikes even though they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in form and function. The Harley Davidson won the first round of riding comfort position hands down, but the new seat on the 2013 Duc yet to be tried, might redeem its comfort for my junk.

But the Duc is a Porsche and an SUV. More like Porsche Cayenne vs Cadillac Escalade. Or not.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
AH have MORE bikes than I need.....

Sorry, but you always NEED more bikes than you have...this is a universal law of nature...
grin2.gif

Get the bike that fits you. You'll regret it if you can't get out and enjoy yourself because you simply don't fit on your horse.

If you are content with the performance afforded the Harley then it would probably be your best bet.

As someone that has been riding since I was 6 years of age, the proper answer is to buy both bikes. Then start looking for what other bikes you need.
grin.gif

Got my first scoot at 4, lil Hodaka. You DEFINITELY want more than one!

But that Duke is a killer, I'd have to have it.

Last edited:
You need two bikes. A naked one for summer and a fully faired one for winter. I've been trying to pick one bike for many years .... too much compromise involved.

These bikes each run about $17K equipped as I would buy them. I'll just be getting one...
whistle.gif

All depends on your riding style and your comfort as well.

I had an '02 HD lowrider, then traded up to a '04 road king. I sold the road king when I moved up to NH. The road king just wasn't doing much for me on the hilly, twisty roads up here.

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to replace the RK, so I got a used Triumph sprint for not alot of cash. Really love this bike on the twisty roads, and it's nice at cruising fast on the highway too. I don't really like it for slow, stop n go riding like in a city.

I recently picked up a used Multistrada 1100S.....and I really, really like this bike! It handles the fast n twisty stuff just great, and also is nice on flat, straight roads too. I prefer the seating position of the Duc & Triumph over a cruiser, but that's me....you may prefer a cruiser more. It's all in what you like, and what feels better to you.

I have not ridden one of the newer, water cooled Multi's yet....I wanted an air cooled Duc....and I'm afraid if I take one for a ride, I will want it!

Having two bikes is nice....having more than two is even better! I really like the Dyna's, and am hoping to get another one someday.

Good luck with your decision!

if I was shopping for a new bike i would take a serious look at
this guy right here. Similar build quality to the Ducati but (probably) much better ease of maintenance and reliability better looking and way more fun than any harley imo. Costs half as much too.

01aprilia-dorsoduro-f.jpg

Last edited:
That would be an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. But I cheated and right clicked the photo for Properties...
45.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
AH have MORE bikes than I need.....

Sorry, but you always NEED more bikes than you have...this is a universal law of nature...
grin2.gif

And LESS bikes than I want. Will I get into BITOG trouble because Sen. Phil Graham said that about firearms?

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
if I was shopping for a new bike i would take a serious look at
this guy right here. Similar build quality to the Ducati but (probably) much better ease of maintenance and reliability better looking and way more fun than any harley imo. Costs half as much too.

01aprilia-dorsoduro-f.jpg
Pretty , but a lot of STUFF hanging off it compared to an airhead.

I've owned a number of Ducati.

The plastics and composites are high quality and not disposable. Although I will say if the model you want has carbon on it, have it (the carbon) clearcoated by a body shop that is familiar with painting carbon.

Also, if the model you are looking at has a plastic tank make sure they have resolved the problems of a few years back.

To me if you can't get comfortable on it that is a deal breaker obviously but there is usually some adjustment in the controls.

The new Dyna ride nice and I would not consider them underpowered, but a Ducati Testastretta is a whole another level.

You might look at BMWs too.

Yesterday I went back to the HD dealer, talked some $$. A fair deal was offered, considering they have to do a dealer swap to get one with ABS in silver. But I couldn't get the Ducati out of my mind. So today I took a road trip (100 mile) back to the Ducati dealer for another look at the 2012 Multistrada. I wore looser pants, and wore my heeled riding boots this time. Much better. I know that sounds weird, but it was better. Using the heel to hook the peg let me angle my foot down w/o it creeping down the peg and operating the brake and shifter felt much better. I think a lot of it was just having cut my riding teeth on HD's forward controls and the upright seating position was throwing me off. Once I tried it again it was much better. I think I could ride the Duc for hours and be comfortable enough.

So. I've decided on getting the Ducati. They're going to call when the 2013's they've got on order arrive, they expected them this month but not arrived yet. I want the larger wind screen and slightly wider front faring as well as the engine updates for 2013 (dual spark plugs, repositioned injectors, and air bleed changes for improved low rpm fuel burn). Otherwise I'd save a grand and get the 2012 demo on the floor (has a few hundred miles). But for that extra grand on a 2013, I get to do the break-in instead of living with the break-in demo riders put on, plus the mentioned updates are well worth it to me.

Congrats, the new Multistrada is definitely a dream bike, and quite possibly the best all-round streetbike out there (based on virtually every test I hav read). A fine choice, now get out and ride, and enjoy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back