Royal Purple 0w10, 5000 miles, 02 Sentra SpecV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting chart. I looked at my Jegs catalogue and RP 0W10 is $16 a quart. It must be a different base than API RP oils. That's double the price of other synthetics in the 0w20 and 5w20 range. Do you feel that the oil analysis justifies the price compared to comparable results with a 0w20?

Captain, if I read you correctly, it is odd that the molybdenum increased in use before it went down. Reading 90 then 163 then 138. Calcium similarly reads 1596 then 2673 then 2416.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
So does Royal Purple still make this 0w-10 oil? I cannot locate it on their website. Is it safe for street cars?

WOW! A 3 year old + thread back from the dead.

Yes, RP still offers the 0W10. It is their XPR racing oil though. This is not their regular street oil or even the HPS line.

Open the link below and then click on the Packaging & Tech Info button on the right once the page opens. If you have an oil burner with a cat conv I wouldn't run it due to the additives that would trash the cat. Big $$$ though at like $18 a qt +/-.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/product-categories/racing/#!xpr-racing-oil

Last edited:
What's with the Zn at 1800ppm, and the P at 800? Seems like a bad reading from Blackstone. Normally, P is ~10% less than Zn for most oils.

The thing is, this oil has been rendered totally obsolete by the crop of ultra high VI OEM 0W-20.
The RP spec's are HTHSV 2.5cP and 140 VI.
This oil is not much lighter than a typical 5W-20 dino if not heavier in service after the dino has sheared some.
For example the Sustina 0W-20 (HTHSV 2.6cP, 229 VI) will be dramatically lighter on start-up, still lighter at normal operating temp's with the added benefit of a higher HTHSV.

In fact the usefulness of all the so-called light 5,10 and 15wt race oils has been severely challenged by these new high VI 0W-20 oils. And when the up-coming 0W-16 grade becomes available even the viability of the lightest 2wt race oils will questioned.

We're talking about light oil, and for a given HTHSV the higher the VI the lighter the oil.
These old formulated race oils are not just not that light by todays standards.
There is a hugh difference between a 220 VI and the 140 of RP XPR 0W-10.

This "0w10" isn't really a 10wt with a starting vis of 6.8@100C. It's a light 20. Probably fine to run in a Honda or Toyota requiring 0w20. And I guess in other cars per this UOA.

Caterham does make a good point though (at least this time...). His favorite high VI 0w20s like Toyota 0w20 and Sustina are probably a better choice for most applications than is this oil. They will be thinner at lower temps and thicker at high temps.

Unless what you really want is an ultra low HTHS oil with tons of boundary lubrication...

[edit: typos...]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back