Should i apply battery protector on terminals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a spray I got from Batteries Plus. It turns pink when it contacts acid/corrosion. I also use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar then spray on a little wd40 or whatever light oil I have within reach.

Pretty much anything that seals out air and moisture will work. I used to use LPS3 when I lived near the Texas coast - with salt air. Hair spray makes sense, as does Vaseline, grease, anti-seize, etc.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
This lil packet they gave me at autozone its says battery terminal and cable protector. Battery Protector

I've been using this plus the little rings around the terminals for years. Zero issues with corrosion.

I vote the use of a dedicated product designed for the job. All other "home remedies" and "redneck backyard special lubes" are silly, IMO. A $1 for a tiny packet of battery terminal protectant can be used on three cars! You've got to be crazy to use anything else your grandpa told you to use when they didn't have any dedicated product like this back in the 50s.
33.gif

+1 Artem , I always recommend this to my customers. Protects the batteries and me dealing with angry customers 2 years down the road.

I use Permatex High Tack gasket spray adhesive. It's red in color and does not dry out and crack.

I also use the felt washers under post style terminals.

Wheel bearing grease.
In addition to blocking the oxygen (which prevents oxidation, eh) it has rust and corrosion inhibitors. If you think about it, grease in a bearing has to deal with a lot, knowing nobody is going to come along and service it.

Vasoline and dielectric grease blocks the oxygen, but it doesn't have additives in it to deal with what's already there.

If you try to go fancy (marine grease, EP grease) they don't work as well. I don't like the idea of copper anti-seize; it has copper in it, a very good conductor, and is meant to be effective at very high temps, where nothing else on the shelf works.

The rings work for me, and you don't want insulation between the terminal and post in a high current application like a battery. Copper anti seize is sort of the best of both, just avoid a path between the positive terminal and ground or you may get leakage. I've stuck a DVM into the stuff and it isn't real conductive.

Marine greases use a calcium sulfonate thickener, which is also an anti-rust agent. I'm not sure how it behaves with battery chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back