Michelin LTX A/T2 Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had experience with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires? Any thoughts to share?

I've been reading a lot about the LTX M/S2 tires but not much on the A/T2s. By the way, the wife has the M/S2 tires on her 4Runner and thinks they are the best tires she's ever driven on. Much better than the BF Goodrich Long Trail Tours that were on previously. Her vehicle is much quieter and stable now. The OEM tires were Dunlops and it seemed like a constant struggle to keep the vehicle in the lane. We just got a shot of light snow here and she has yet to even think about 4WD.

Based on her ravings, a buddy is thinking about putting M/S2's on his F-150. Most of his driving is on highway/city but we both go off road during the hunting season. I was thinking he might be better off with the A/T2.

Off-road and Michelin don't go together IMO.

If he has to have a Michelin tire,the A/T2 is the one I'd pick.

I could probably come up with 8-10 mild A/T tires I'd rather have than Michelins.

I just put 40k on a set on my work truck before switching to Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors. They are not the best AT, but have much better highway manners when compared to others. It's a compromise in favor of road noise and handling.

I really like the the SilentArmors. They're comparible in price to the Michelins and offer much better off-road performance.

I am a huge fan of the LTX MS2 but I agree that off road performance is not a Michelin strength.

Get the G/Y, the silent armor is one of their best.

The A/T2's, if they're anything like the A/T's that preceded them, are more of a highway tire with a slightly more aggressive looking tread.

I have M/S on now, and had A/T before that. Frankly I think the M/S has better off-road traction than the A/T. Only downside is the grooves on the M/S love to hang on to pebbles that the A/T's wouldn't grab in the first place. I suspect the M/S2 and A/T2 continue those traits.

Thanks, guys. I'll pass the suggestions/info to him. I don't know anyone that has actually driven a set of the A/T2's and the reviews on Tire Rack are all over the map.

My truck came OEM with the BFG All Terrain T/A KO tires. Good tires but I can hear some road rumble and he was hoping to avoid that. He has to drive to Spokane periodically; 300 miles one way. I say just crank up the stereo but he's hoping for something quieter.

Since most of the miles will be highway, I'd go with the M/S2's. I have these on my vehicles. and go off road, dirt roads etc. and I have never had any issue. Also they should be quieter on the highway.

I've never had problems taking the Expedition down trails with the M/S's on it. Mind you, it has a lot more weight over the rear-end than the F-150 would. I've also pulled a buddy's Chevy 4x4 out of the mud with it, so they clearly can't be as bad on surfaces that aren't asphalt as some may think they are.

Originally Posted By: RW1

I don't know anyone that has actually driven a set of the A/T2's and the reviews on Tire Rack are all over the map.

My buddy has a set on his '07 Ram 2500. They're the stock 265/70/17 size.

We hunt together for two weeks every year. On gravel logging roads they're fine. A couple inches of snow they're fine. Any more snow than that,or much mud at all and they're worthless.

The Michelin M/S2 is better in snow than the A/T2.

My truck came OEM with the BFG All Terrain T/A KO tires. Good tires but I can hear some road rumble and he was hoping to avoid that. He has to drive to Spokane periodically; 300 miles one way. I say just crank up the stereo but he's hoping for something quieter.

BFGs aren't a particularly quiet tire. Its not hard to get something quieter then them.

Toyo Open Country A/T
Nitto Terra Grapplers
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors
Bridgestone Dueler Revos
Hankook ATM RF10s

I've had all of the tires above,as well as BFGs. Everything I've listed is quieter than the BFGs IMO.

Thanks, I'll pass this on too. In fact, he's at Fairchild AFB right now for a Joint conference (we're Army). He sent me a text about how nasty it was in the pass. I guess he was delayed a while at Mile Post 34 due to accident. Despite having 4WD, he was thinking about chaining up. I think I'll suggest he consider getting new tires now (in Spokane).

He might be better off with the M/S2s. Heck, when my BFGs wear out I might consider them too. The wife really loves them on her 4Runner and if she notices something about the vehicle then it's something big.

Chaining up is always an option off-road. A lot of guys run mild tires and chain up during our elk season.

Chains are a PITA IMO. I favor more aggressive tires and chains as a last resort.

Just installed a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2's on my wifes 2005 4X4 Explorer. Too soon to make any judgements. Her driving is only on paved roads. We do get a fair amount of snow and I hope the Michelins do as well or better than the BFG Rugged Trail T/A's she's used for the 130,000 miles she's owned the truck. It was bought new and those BFG's were on it. The BFG's were decent tires but they were wearing out in the 30 to 35,000 mile range. That's only about 2 years of driving for her. So far the tires are very quiet on the road and grip well in the rain. The snow test will be coming soon I imagine.

Whimsey

I agree with you about chains. I'll carry chains but if I ever feel like I need to use them, then I'm using them to go home. They're my safety margin.

I emailed the suggestions to my buddy and he's going to check prices at Discount Tire and Les Schwab tomorrow afternoon. He's supposed to return tomorrow afternoon but is thinking Snoqualmie Pass is too sloppy and Friday might be better.

Thanks again.

Did you get "P" or "LT" tires? Just curious as to what load range. It won't help my buddy who should have bought tires a couple of months ago (but is a real tightwad)as he needs to do it real soon. But I would be interested to hear any follow up comments later down the road.

Thanks!

I recently put A/T2s on my Tacoma. Had Silent Armors on it before. I like the Michelins better, but it may be a case of me mentally comparing OLD Silent Armors to new Michelins. You can't really go wrong with either, IMHO.

robert

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Its tied for 2nd place on Tire Rack's survey results grid for tires of its type, 'On-/Off-Road All-Terrain'.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

That's all I've got.

I don't know how much worth I'd put into the Tirerack rankings since they are all user evals only. Personally, I haven't heard much good about the Firestones Destinations which are rated #1. A buddy of mine tried to save a few bucks on these vs the Michelins he had on his truck, and regretted the purchase. I had the Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61, they were pretty good, but there are better tires out there IMO. For a snow rated tire, not very good in the snow.

Did you get "P" or "LT" tires? Just curious as to what load range. It won't help my buddy who should have bought tires a couple of months ago (but is a real tightwad)as he needs to do it real soon. But I would be interested to hear any follow up comments later down the road.

Thanks!

Great question. Unlike my previous orders from Discount tires these do not have a P preceding the 245/65R17 nomenclature as the other tires I ordered from them. Do LT tires have any LT markings? If they are LT tires they are quiet and well balanced. Better than her previous P rated BRG Rugged Trail T/A's she had since new.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back