best weight oil to reduce leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a best weight oil to reduce leaks? For example will a 20w50 reduce oil leaks better than a 5w40? I know teere are many more variables such as synthetic or HM oils and possiblely climate. Just wondering and a bit curious.
smile.gif

ive heard that quakerstate defy has a seal sweller, not sure if thats the same thing as conditioners or not. but something that is labeled high mileage might help.

Sure thicker oil will reduce oil leaks, but you need the correct oil for the bearings.

A seal conditioner is not the same as a seal sweller.

Fix gaskets that are leaking. For the difficult to get to seals, try a quality synthetic or Auto-Rx. It may get worse before it gets better.

If the seal is damaged or the shaft surface is scratched/worn/rusted it will continue to leak no matter what.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Sure thicker oil will reduce oil leaks, but you need the correct oil for the bearings.

A seal conditioner is not the same as a seal sweller.

Fix gaskets that are leaking. For the difficult to get to seals, try a quality synthetic or Auto-Rx. It may get worse before it gets better.

If the seal is damaged or the shaft surface is scratched/worn/rusted it will continue to leak no matter what.

Auto RX and Kreen have been used to clean and condition seals. Also fixed the easier leaks. Oil pan gasket is the main leak now and not too bad.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
ive heard that quakerstate defy has a seal sweller, not sure if thats the same thing as conditioners or not. but something that is labeled high mileage might help.

Quaker State Defy made my Jeep leak more. Before using it I had a small leak that made the oil pan wet but no drips on the ground. Every oil change since it has leaked on the ground.
confused.gif

There have been a couple of post saying "fix the leak"! Best route of course.

Oil pan gasket replacement is a bit deal on some BMW engines. About $500 at an independent garage for a 95 M50 engine. Leak is small and I already spent a bunch on other small oil and brake fluid leaks. Old high mileage cars do this.

Think I will wait until spring and deal with the leak then. I currently have 5w40 synthetic oil and have ran (in the summer)20w50 conventional or synthetic with no differeJce in performace that I could see. You see, I am due for an oil/filter change in mid january so i am doing a little research.

Interesting question. I have what appears to be a rear main seal leak that doesn't leak enough to pay to fix it, but if I could make it go away, it would be nice.

I currently have a rear main seal leak on my ranger...
I tried bars stop leak and atp reseal
I still have a few drips of oil each time i drive....

Thicker oil to slow burning/leaking is the oldest trick in the book [well... second oldest!]
There is increased drag as a penalty. This could be severe in winter.

Maxlife seems good on what I've tried it on. I'm also a believer in thicker oil works. Heck, I've run 20/50 in an suv which called for 5/30 and 150k miles later still running like a champ. However, it wasn't a steady diet of thick oil all the time.

Going up a grade may slow consumption through the valve guide and worn rings. If it's a gasket that's leaking then there are products you can add to oil that may help swell the gasket if it's cork.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Thicker oil to slow burning/leaking is the oldest trick in the book [well... second oldest!]
There is increased drag as a penalty. This could be severe in winter.

No 20w50 for me this winter.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Going up a grade may slow consumption through the valve guide and worn rings. If it's a gasket that's leaking then there are products you can add to oil that may help swell the gasket if it's cork.

Any product recomendations?

Originally Posted By: Russell

Napa carries a brand called liqui-moly. They have a product called engine oil saver. It may help. It claims to help stop leaks from dried out gaskets. I've found the companies products to work well and do what they claim they will do.
Or you can try a high mileage oil. Valvoline gets alot of fanfare however I like sopus products. I've read threads where the poster claimed small leaks were cured using all the high mileage oils,and I've read threads where they haven't helped at all.
The liqui-moly motor oil saver is inexpensive and the can of product is small enough that I can't see it affecting the viscosity or diluting the additive package of the oil in the sump.
If the seal that is leaking used rtv to seal it then nothing will help.
Good luck. Post back if you find something that worked.

Napa carries a brand called liqui-moly. They have a product called engine oil saver. It may help. It claims to help stop leaks from dried out gaskets. I've found the companies products to work well and do what they claim they will do.
Or you can try a high mileage oil. Valvoline gets alot of fanfare however I like sopus products. I've read threads where the poster claimed small leaks were cured using all the high mileage oils,and I've read threads where they haven't helped at all.
The liqui-moly motor oil saver is inexpensive and the can of product is small enough that I can't see it affecting the viscosity or diluting the additive package of the oil in the sump.

Great list. I will try at least the motor saver product. This company makes good products.

Is there a best weight oil to reduce leaks? For example will a 20w50 reduce oil leaks better than a 5w40? I know teere are many more variables such as synthetic or HM oils and possiblely climate. Just wondering and a bit curious.
smile.gif

I was using Mobil 1 15w-50 (PAO) in my fathers car and had front and rear crank oil seal leakage which was causing clutch judder after a long run but i switched back to a semi synthetic 10w-40 with a high mineral oil content and the leaks and clutch judder have stopped, it also revs free er now.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Here you go, case closed!

Nulon for old worn engines

Wow! 40w70 is one thick oil.

I've never even heard of oil that thick.
Originally Posted By: riggaz
smile.gif

Funny you should say that.
A Harley forum I'm in,the older Evo engines seem to leak or weep when using synthetic,but conventional seems to curb the issue.
I used to think synthetic was the be all to end all as far as oil goes but thanks to dnewton,and the info I've learned in this forum oil is application dependent.
Oil for a twin turbo is going to be different then for an 1980's 305.

I was using Mobil 1 15w-50 (PAO) in my fathers car and had front and rear crank oil seal leakage which was causing clutch judder after a long run but i switched back to a semi synthetic 10w-40 with a high mineral oil content and the leaks and clutch judder have stopped, it also revs free er now.

The liqui-moly motor oil saver is inexpensive and the can of product is small
enough that I can't see it affecting the viscosity or diluting the additive package of the oil in the sump.

Great list. I will try at least the motor saver product. This company makes good products.

Yeah. Liqui-moly hasn't been around in north America for long but everything I've ever used that they produce has lived up to it's claims,so I keep using them.
They make a product called cera-tec which I used for the first time in my high mile hemi. I like it. It's hard to find in Canada,I had to order it from eBay from an American supplier,then there is MOS2 that I absolutely love. Every engine that I put MOS2 into became more fuel efficient. From my vehicles to my 160cc Honda compressor motors,and everything in between. In -30 winter weather my pull start compressors are much easier to pull over and get started with MOS2 in the sump.
Check out the cera-tec and MOS2. I've only found their products at napa auto parts here in Canada and I don't know if anyone else carries their line.

Keep us updated on your progress please. I'm anxious to know if your leak was helped,and the anecdotal evidenceay help another member with the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back